Tip Top - Hot Glue or Epoxy?

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Don P, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Don P New Member

Friedens, PA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I am building my first custom flyrod. I purchased a Sage kit with all of the components necessary to build the rod, however, there was no hot glue in the kit. I have received conflicting information regarding the type of glue to use on the tip top. Some say hot glue others say epoxy. My first question is hot glue or epoxy? Second question is, if using hot glue what type should I use for best results? Any advice appreciated.
  2. James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Tacoma
    Ratings: +88 / 0
    It depends on a lot of factors. If you are going to use this rod a *LOT*, and you are wedded to using standard chrome tip tops, go with the hot melt option. If you've *never* worn out a tip top, or you are using a ceramic top, then go with epoxy. A lot of manufacturers still use hot melt glue, so don't fret about it coming loose. Epoxy is for nuts who want a guarantee that the rod will never fall apart. :)

For ease of use and for fixing any foobars, I'd suggest using hot melt glue. Do not use the standard low temp stuff though, as it won't hold up to hot cars in the summer. Gudebrod makes an okay hot melt glue, but you can use the stuff in craft stores, provided that your glue melt temp is around 200F. Any hotter and you run the risk of "scorching" the tip, any lower, and hot summer days will get it loose.

Now as for application, don't just smear it on the tip and stick the tip top on. That won't bind all that well. What I do is take some of the hot melt glue and cut it into very thin strips. I then place those strips into the tip top until it's stuffed full. Then I apply gentle heat until melted, and put it onto the tip top. Holds well, and it seems to apply the glue better.

-- Cheers
    -- James
  3. Banzai FFing and VWs...Bugs & Bugs

Bremerton, WA
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    I have used both hot melt and 5 minute epoxy for tips and have not had either fail. Pro rod builders I have spoken with seem evenly divided on epoxy or hot melt, but I agree with James on the convenience of hot melt.
  4. kenai New Member

pa
    hot melt all the way, especially on such an expensive blank. please don't use the
    epoxy!!!! scares me to think of it!!!! kenai
  5. Bert Kinghorn Formerly "nextcast"

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    I've used the 5-minute epoxy for several years now with good success. I have changed the tip on one rod twice and the old tiptops cooked off every bit as easily as tips connected with hot glue.

I also used the hot glue for many years and it works fine as well. You really can't go wrong with either product.

If you should choose epoxy, use the 5-minute or quick-set version. Do NOT use the 2-ton or slow set stuff for tiptops!
  6. Jim Fitz Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Hot melt and James has the tip-o-the-day with respect to the best way to apply. Melt the stuff and dab on aluminum foil and make strips to put into the tip and then gently melt by gently heating TT and putting in place with hemos or your fingers if you like burned fingers.
  7. mike doughty Honorary Member

the uinta's
    Ratings: +5 / 0
  8. earlsmith Member

Seattle
    There is a small glue stick you can get at any sporting goods store and a lighter, we keep the emergency stuff with us in case somebody needs it, and the hot glue has never failed me =). I have a 8 and 12 year old, believe me, I have occasion to use it =)

Earl