Tippet Rings...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Ron McNeal, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Ron McNeal get'n jiggy wid it, for the most part anyway

Poulsbo, WA
    Ratings: +112 / 0
  2. Skysoldier Trout Hunter

Lost in the woods.....
    Ratings: +166 / 0
    I don't really see this as faster or easier so don't see the point but I guess if it works for someone more power to them. I will continue to use surgeon's knots.
  3. astrofisher Clear Skies

Tenino, Wa.
    Ratings: +53 / 0
    Just one more tiny object that I could hardly see without my magnifiers, which I would probably lose anyway.
  4. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +533 / 0
    Been thinking about giving those a try. Thanks Ron.
  5. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    Ratings: +449 / 0
    I have been using the oval rings for some time when I make furled leaders and have not had any trouble with them at all. they make for a nice union between the leader & the tippet
  6. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,401 / 0
    This Old Man doesn't see the need for them. A simple surgeon's knot will do me fine.
  7. psycho Active Member

B.C. Canada
    Ratings: +94 / 0
    OMJ I presume that your portfolio does not have shares of Tippet Rings Inc. in it, those of us heavily weighted to TPI thing that they are the best thing since apple pie.:D It helps if we can convince others of the greatness of the products of TPI also.:D
  8. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +652 / 1
    Ring size seems appropriate for most on this site...

;)
    dfl likes this.
  9. Biscuet Member

Colorado
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    Fly fishermen these days are too "gadget-crazed".
  10. weiliwen Active Member

Chicago Illinois
    Ratings: +37 / 0
    My furled leaders come with a tippet ring - an option - and I think it makes adding the final couple feet of tippet much easier, especially for those who now need reading glasses to tie up.
  11. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +350 / 0

They have been for the last forty years that I know of.

Some gadgets get the job done, some are just window dressing.

I suppose that the transition from horsehair and silk lines was
    looked on as too novel by some crusty old geezers like me.
    But I do have vinyl lines and plastic leaders. AND, I have never had to dry a vinyl line after use. Never.
  12. Biscuet Member

Colorado
    I guess i just view moving from horsehair/silk to vinyl/plastic is more an advancement of technology, while tippet rings, leader straighteners, and other weird stuff i see at fly shops are just "fluff". Just my silly opinion. lol. I'm sure people would look at my pack of fishing crap and say i have too much "fluff" too. Believe me, i'm not a weirdo saying everyone needs to fish with homemade bamboo rods and horsehair... it's just that when i look through the "accessories" aisle at the fly shop i just have to laugh to myself.
  13. Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

WA
    Ratings: +62 / 0
    The tippet rings on my furled leaders work great. I bought some loose rings from the supplier; pricey little buggers, but for some reason that escapes me I haven't used them on mono leaders yet.
  14. Smalma Active Member

Marysville, Washington
    Ratings: +530 / 0
    I doubt that tippet rings or swivels would be legal on fly only waters. Either could be considered to be weight attached to the line or line.

Curt
  15. Biscuet Member

Colorado
    Interesting point. Can anyone verify?
  16. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +350 / 0
    Well, every body has an opinion and a belly button. Your opinion is a valid as mine. I too think that sometimes I have too much dangle on my fishing vests. Who needs only one fishing vest. Right?

My comments were not intended to be argumentative.
    I sometimes run my mouth when I shouldn't and I sound like a grumpy old man.
    Well, two outta three ain't all that bad.

My take, is that learning to accomplish something is usually better than someone else's technology. Tying knots is part of that process for me. I certainly do not have any problem with someone seeking other solutions.
  17. Biscuet Member

Colorado
    As much as i loathe tying knots with freezing cold soaking wet hands while fish are lurking beneath waiting to eat my fly; i have to agree with you. It's all part of the process. The whole thing is part of fooling a fish... starts with tying a fly at home, then tying on a leader, tying on tippet, tying on the fly, presenting the fly with a delicate and precise cast, creating a good drift, seeing the take, the gentle trout set, the fight, landing the fish, and the safe release of the fish. It's all a beautiful process to me. For some, that process requires a few more gadgets and gizmos. It's all good.
  18. Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

WA
    Ratings: +62 / 0
    Not to be a considered a legal analysis at all but my dry fly furled leaders with tippet rings float when greased so I do not consider them a "weight". I'm also curious to hear from someone who really knows but doubt I'd be cited unless I was being a real ass.
  19. Smalma Active Member

Marysville, Washington
    Ratings: +530 / 0
    There can be little debate that any sort of metal attached to the leader (whether a ring, swivel or lead shot) adds weight to the leader. I guess the question can reduced to at what point does too much become incompatible with fly fishing? How large of a ring or swivel crosses the threshold of becoming a weight?

I suspect that the game of fly fishing has been stretched to the point that attempting to define fly fishing or even having fly fishing only waters is an outdated idea and should probably be eliminated. Not popular idea I sure but what is a fly, or fly line, leader, etc has become so blurred that they resist definition.

curt
  20. Ron McNeal get'n jiggy wid it, for the most part anyway

Poulsbo, WA
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    WFF never fails to deliver. I continue to be amazed.......... and, entertained.
    dryflylarry likes this.