Tippet Tenders

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by freestoneangler, Jul 25, 2014.

1. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    Here is a solution I developed using parachute cord and a spring loaded two hole cord stop. The tippet/leader feeds through one of the holes.
    [​IMG]

The advantage of using non elastic material is that none of it handles water and dampness well, and it stretches out. Once your material is low, the elastic becomes loose.

The disadvantage of this system, and one reason I haven't refined it for production, is that every time you pull some tippet you have to tighten up the cord around the spool. It's an extra step that I've found to be annoying.

It's also time consuming, although it doesn't look like it. It's hard to feed the cord through the cord stopper and get the knots flattened down. I do use them, but I think there are better solutions. I'm working on one now with much better elastic. The solution in the video is good, but I think the opening in the tubing is too wide. Once that elastic loosens or the material gets low it will be pretty sloppy.

Other Fails:

Gluing elastic and using a grommet like you see on the SA spools. It too is time consuming and regardless of what glue you choose, it WILL fail sooner than later. That's why the factory tenders are stitched with a box stitch.

Honestly, I obsessed over these earlier this year, as I know there's a better aftermarket solution, especially for larger leader spools that don't come with much of anything. I brought in a lot of parts to mess with it, and have to come up with something that I think is truly an improvement. Working on it….

2. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

That is pretty slick! And now that I'm done setting-up my new-to-me 'toon & mini-mags, I need a new , screaming-hot-weather indoor project today. Thanks!

Ron McNeal likes this.
  3. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    DW just checked her sewing stash and whala, plenty of the elastic band on hand. In fact it completely covers the width of the Rio spools -- better than the band they come with. Now I'll get the clear tubing and heat shrink tube and get some of these made.

The one's LCnSac made look good too... might try a few of these as well.

Ron McNeal likes this.
  4. Ron McNeal

Ron McNeal Life's good!

Media:

This is good one!!

mtflycaster likes this.
  5. Jim Ficklin

Made-up a bunch of these yesterday & captured all of my tippet spools, plus have a bunch of spares. Finally ended-up setting my glue gun on low heat & was more patient ensuring the glue had set-up. The hardest part was finding 3/16 OD tubing, but finally went to a Home Depot that had some. Had I been thinking, I'd have skipped the candle & just placed the completed tippet tenders in the sun; it felt hot enough to tighten the heat shrink bands all at once, lol. These definitely tame spring-loaded Maxima leader material. When I get more elastic, I'll make a few for lead & wire too, since dropping either of those & unspooling the contents is a not a pretty sight; should render application easier while minimizing waste, also. I also like the "bolt & 'bineer" carrier, but I'll craft one out of lighter material, perhaps nylon, PVC, or ABS with a smaller carabineer.

6. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    Use a light bulb for the heat shrink. Result looks better and is more even.

Jim Ficklin likes this.
  7. freestoneangler

Media:
    Not pretty, but seem perfectly functional. On the Rio spools, they sort of snap/lock into the sides which keeps things snug until needed. These will be much better than the rubber band and plastic cover that comes with the Maxima spools. Now I need to buy or make a spool caddy for the Maxima lines. Everything is real inexpensive except the shrink tube which cost me $5.99 for a 40" length at McClendon's. But, that's enough to make 150+, so not really.

It's easy to overheat the shrink wrap and melt the glue holding the elastic to the plastic tube and the tube itself. As shown in the video, using a small anvil or awl through the tube, to allow easy, constant rotation over the flame, helps a lot. Also found letting it cool down while still on the holding tool helped keep the plastic tube thru-hole round.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
    IMG_7209.JPG IMG_7210.JPG IMG_7211.JPG

mtflycaster and LCnSac like this.
  8. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    You all look like your making fly fishing work. I haven't done a lick of work since I retired in May of '99. I never carry more that three tippet spools when I go fishing. Anymore and they just get in the way. It's just like carrying to many flies. I used to carry all my tippet spool on one of those thingy's. I kept breaking them because they always seemed to hang wrong off my vest. Now I don't wear a vest.

9. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

I have found fishing with a friend is the way to go,I just bum Tippet material or trade for flys. This helps me maintain my minimalist fishing style without having to carry all the stuff,killer flys for trade is the key.

10. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Hairbands and a needle. Simple enough for me.

11. freestoneangler

Media:
    Pictures or they don't exist.

12. Jim Ficklin

Another thrifty & effective idea (but I would have missed-out on the fun of tinkering & making some; I'll try this, too.).

Ron McNeal likes this.
  13. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Dude, I've got daughters.
    This was the easiest DIY project ever!

freestoneangler likes this.
  14. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:
    Yo. The sharktooth things. Seriously guys.

15. bjornjon

bjornjon Member

I'm all for DIY, but when you're talking about $4.95 for a really handy thing like the Sharktooth it's really not that much. Perhaps I overvalue my time though.

16. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

If you really hate tippet tenders, how about a medium fly box sized clear plastic box that holds and dispenses tippet from 4 spools. I forget who made these but they are well made and I have two that I am not using. I'd have to measure them to be sure but I'd estimate them at 5.5"x3.5"x1". They worked fine but I moved back to bare spools. Surely a few others here also has or had them.

17. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Media:
    50 posts or 1,000 views, whichever comes first, constitutes a tippet tender swap.

Ron McNeal likes this.
  18. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

Sounds like a start up of a new manufacturing plant for fly gear is eminent .

19. Ben Swaner

Ben Swaner Active Member

$4.95 adds up quick when you carry several spools of tippet. I agree its not for everyone. Just trying to share ideas with other anglers.

freestoneangler likes this.
  20. bjornjon

bjornjon Member

That's true. I typically only carry 3-4 tippit guide spools with me, max. I've spent $20 on sharkteeth and have never had a need for more. I suppose if a guy carries 0x-6x with them it would add up.