Tippet to fly knots

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Letsfish, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Letsfish New Member

Beaverton, OR
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    This past season I have been using a mono no slip knot on by buggers and nymphs. Previously I had been using an improved clinch knot and have been very pleased with the change. However has anyone had experience comparing the no slip knot to a perfection loop for tying on flies or know of someone who has?
  2. miyawaki Active Member

Kent, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +839 / 1
    I would really love to see a video of a perfection loop used to tie a fly onto a tippet!

Leland.
    Olive bugger likes this.
  3. troutpocket Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +326 / 0
    Using a Perfection loop is a tradeoff. A nice, straight loop at the end of the line but less strength (using a Perfection Loop reduces tippet breaking strength by ~15%). I like it on the butt end of a leader for attaching loop-to-loop with a welded loop on the end of a fly line when losing a little breaking strength off a 15-20lb test leader won't likely make a difference. The non-slip mono loop is a 100% tippet strength knot . . .ideal for attaching the fly.
  4. Letsfish New Member

Beaverton, OR
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    LeLand, you can see the perfection loop used to tie on a fly at www.youtube.com/watch?v=elxIziQxvLk
    However I really appreciate troutpocket's input about the decrease strength of the perfection loop as compared to a non slip loop knot. Thanks for the help. Now I just need to go fishing some more.
    miyawaki likes this.
  5. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    Ratings: +1,264 / 0
    I like mono loop for heavier tippet. I've had alot of flies cut right through smaller diameter tippet using the mono loop, so I quit using it for anything lighter than 3x.
  6. ryfly Addicted to flyfishing

Snoqualmie, WA
    Ratings: +45 / 0
    I have gone with a double surgeons knot to make a loop for both buggers and chironomids. Its very easy and very effective.
    Steve Unwin and pond monkey like this.
  7. Drifter Active Member

Ratings: +638 / 2
    Well I'm going to use a loop knot alot more this year. I always stayed away from them because I just "HATE" the visibility of the knot when it is away from the eye of the hook. This is what has kept me away from using the loop knot!

In my head I can see how visible it is after tying it, when the fly is sinking I can see it. Yet I know it gives the fly more action I also think it can spook fish - well smart fish anyway! but so many people use it that I'm thinking I must be "OMG - WRONG" while fishing for trout I think they all have college degrees and flip me the fin if I do one thing wrong! When in all actuality they are like grade school kids when the lunch bell rings - running to get in line first at the lunch line and hopping apple pie is on the menu and eating everything in sight tell it's all gone!

I don't think it matters with a good chop or strong wind while fishing under indi's but, when it's calm and the water is flat it makes perfect sense to give the fly as much movement as you can with the loop knot!

Now I have to work on the way I think "ALL" trout are so smart - I mean sometimes I think they are actually smarter than I am. But it keeps me on my toes at all times!!! HMMMM
    Irafly and Steve Call like this.
  8. Steve Unwin Active Member

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +84 / 0
    I do this too, but usually only with chironomids and other small nymphs.
  9. ryfly Addicted to flyfishing

Snoqualmie, WA
    Steve, it actually works really well for buggers and streamers as it allows that extra motion adding just a little bit more "life" to the action of the fly on the retrieve and on the fall. I also use it all nymphs in rivers as well.
  10. Lue Taylor Lue Taylor/dbfly

auburn,wa
    Ratings: +77 / 9
    Would the Bowline knot be a lot easier
  11. Steve Unwin Active Member

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +84 / 0
    I usually try to do a non-slip loop with bigger flies but only because they are a little harder to pass through the loop of a double surgeon. The double surgeon is definitely easier with cold fingers though.
  12. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +46 / 0
    troutpocket speaks big medicine, and I agree wholeheartedly; for just about any reason, the non-slip mono loop woudl be preferred to the perfection loop in this instance. However, though the non-slip mono loop has a very high breaking strength, I don't believe it's quite 100%...
    Irafly likes this.
  13. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +46 / 0
    Though the double surgeons is a good knot, I believe the breaking strength of the non-slip mono loop is higher.
  14. Steve Kokita FISHON206

Burien, Washington
    Ratings: +135 / 0
    I use the bowline loop knot for all flies. I've caught huge coho/kings in Alaska, Dorado in Cabo to rainbows everywhere. I even use it for dries as with small parachutes the loop won't trap any hackle fibers. I can tie this loop super small with a minimal of wasted tippet. Works for me!
  15. ryfly Addicted to flyfishing

Snoqualmie, WA
    If I can tie the knot blindfolded and in the dark, its a plus. I just won't lay the pipe to the fish during fight.
  16. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +408 / 0
    Me too!

Duncan knot is a good loop knot for the fly to leader. But I prefer the improved cinch knot.
  17. Don Freeman Freeman

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +205 / 0
    I've been using the perfection loop on heavy tippets, like 40#-100# in place of the no-slip. It closes up cleaner. On tippets for local freshwater in regular size line the no slip wins because of knot strength. Not much of an issue with 100# Seguar.
  18. ceviche Active Member

Shoreline, Washington, U.S.A.
    Ratings: +42 / 0
    No kidding? I'm surprised the bowline doesn't slip apart on occasion. It's valued on ships as a knot that's both easy to tie and untie. Once a strain is taken off the knot, it unties easily. For a fishing knot, I'd think something that is permanent would be preferable, though I've seen a double becket used to join the butt-end of a leader to the looped end of a fly line, as well as tippet to the looped end of a leader. Interestingly, the bowline and the single becket are both the same at their core--but just applied and tied differently. In the using synthetic line, a certain degree of permanent deformity of the line within the knot is good, as the memory of the bends will lessen the chance of the knot loosening and untying itself when not under a strain.

--Dave
    Steve Kokita likes this.
  19. Steve Kokita FISHON206

Burien, Washington
    Ratings: +135 / 0
    Hey Dave, since the weather is so crappy, grab some mono, a fly and tie a bowline loop....it works great with flouro too! Unlike "rope" in nautical uses, tippet material moistened and tied, has very good strength and permentability! It's my go to knot...works for me!----Steve