Tippets on Spey Lines

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by pdavis327, Oct 27, 2011.

1. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Ratings: +118 / 0
    "I do not think if you put on a 9' leader straight to the end of a skandi short line it would cast worth a crap."

Beg to differ here. 9' works just fine .... it's when you push beyond that with a short(er) rod you'll find the leader will 'hinge like hell' when casting same. A caviot (sp?) to that would be a two fly set up, but that will only add another couple of feet. Thing to keep in context here is we're talking about fishing 'moving water,' not still water; there ... longer may well be better.
  2. TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Vancouver, WA.
    Ratings: +44 / 0
    Maybe for some, but I would think it would be too short at 31-33ft plus leader. Its not even three times the rod length, more like 2.5 times the lenght. I would be ripping my anchors out left and right.
  3. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Ahhhhhh. Grant one point here ...... with shorter leaders you realllllllly do have to slow down your cast set up. Which actually a very good thing.:thumb: The typical rod I'm using (summer work) will be as short as 11' (a custom retro fiber glass) to 12'9" (ACR and Meizer) (3, 5 and 6 wts). All the lines are custom cut by Steve Gotshall down here in Medford. The heads on each are 31 to 34 foot, 280 grains for the 3wt and 420 for the 6. (Can't remember the grain number for the 5wt.)

fae
  4. pdavis327 New Member

leavenworth, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Thanks for all the great information. My rod is a switch 11 foot, so that line will come in a 3x the rod length exactly with the tip included. Part of the reason I chose that rod. I'm hoping my reel comes today (already 3 days late USPS Priority!) if so, i'll be out and let you all know how it goes.

Again, thanks for the help
  5. Wadecalvin Member

Redmond Oregon
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    You would put on a 10' polyleader on a sinktip? Thats one I havent tried.

I think it would cast basically like any lighter 23' skagit head, or cut back Scandi shooting head, with a sinktip or floater eg. a Skandit.
  6. TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Vancouver, WA.
    NOrmally I would not, but this line's "tips" have a 7ft level line then 3ft of taper. On that line I would probably just keep the floating tip on and then put on different poly leader tips on it.
  7. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Have a couple of RIO's AFS hsooting heads (boxes) in my office. The 520 grain 8/9 has a head of 38 feet, the 7/8 is a foot shorter at 460 grains. The 7/8 'Switch' has a head of 45 feet PLUS a back taper of 15. Without looking I'll assume the 'grains' are similar.
  8. TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Vancouver, WA.
    Fred, do you have any of the scandi versitip lines like the one we are discussing here? All I believe are 31ft heads, 10 of wich is the tip.

http://www.rioproducts.com/fly-lines/spey/scandinavian/scandi-short-versitip.
  9. o mykiss Active Member

Ratings: +168 / 0
    I have recently been fishing the Scandi Short Versitip on an 11' switch rod. With sink tips, whether intermediate, type 3, type 6 or whatever else you may decide to throw on there, you generally want about 3 - 4 feet of level mono from the end of the tip. This is a good rule of thumb for any sort of sink tip set up regardless of the line or whether a single, spey or switch rod. The basic idea is that if you use a sink tip line, you want to keep the leader on the short end to keep the fly down. Unless you are fishing a weighted fly, a long leader off a sink tip defeats the purpose of fishing a sinktip. Also, casting sink tips with long leaders is a serious pain in the ass. Not sure how you set up your tips, but I nailknot about a 12" piece of 30 lb. mono to the end of each tip and tie a perfection loop at the end of that butt section. Then I connect the leader (for sink tips, 2 1/2 - 3' of level mono, 8 or 10 lb depending on water conditions). When I fish the floating tip with the Scandi Short Versitip, I have been using a 10' tapered leader (so with the 12" butt section I've tied to the end of the tip, it works out to about 11' from the end of the floatin tip in total). Works pretty well thought I may tinker with adding a foot or two of tippet to the end of the tapered leader (for 12-13' total) to see how that works. One think I am learning is that these lines are so short that you have to keep your strokes very compact.
  10. TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Vancouver, WA.
    Yeah, it seems that line was designed and is ideal for the shorter switch rods.
  11. pdavis327 New Member

leavenworth, WA
    well thanks to all the help from everyone! I went out today ( finally got my reel in the mail) and caught my first steelhead! I moved out here from Appalachia region a few months ago, so my first season of steelhead fishing. I didn't expect to catch anything, so I'm very happy to have come out with one today. I was swinging flies I tied, with the lighter of the sink tips that came with the package.

Will post pictures, once I figure out how.

Thanks guys!
  12. Wadecalvin Member

Redmond Oregon
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    I think just the floating tip has the 3' tapered section- I think the sink tips are standard 10' Versatips. Which I didnt even know existed until this line came out.
  13. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Don't personally own one, but have cast a couple configurations of the line. Personal opinion here only, but my thought was RIO was trying to 're-invent the wheel.' Or to put it another way (and I mean no disrespect to RIO as I have boxes of their lines) is they had to come out with a 'new product' and this is what they came up with.
  14. EHB86 Member

Puget Sound and Plain, WA
    Ratings: +15 / 0
    "I went out today ( finally got my reel in the mail) and caught my first steelhead!"

Nice work, congratulations. On the Wenatchee?
  15. Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Bellingham Wa.
    Ratings: +310 / 1
    Agree, keep it simple to start, put in your time and refine.
  16. pdavis327 New Member

leavenworth, WA
    Thanks, yes on the Wenatchee. Been out nearly every day since, and haven't gotten a bite! haha
  17. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Yes to the above. The need for a very long leader is 'over-sold' in my humble opinion. Most of my 'scandi heads' (many built by Steve Gotshall (sp?)here in Medford) range between 30 and 34 feet (rods 11 to 14 foot) and leaders will be between 9' to (perhaps) 12 feet with a two fly set up. Only thing you have to do is remember to slow up your casting stroke. A longer leader WILL give you a bit better anchor but will 3 - 4 feet of same really make all that much difference?

And how much 'touchie-feelie' do you loose with the business end of your rig?