Titlow Beach 6/26

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Djustham, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Djustham

Djustham Sculpin are gross.

Media:
    Went out to titlow yesterday from 12-4 and fished from the park up to the bridge at low tide. It seemed to be prime habitat for the cutties from what I have read, stoney bottom, current, kelp beds to hide in...but I got no action. I understand that the SRCs are a bit of an enigma, especially to those new to fishing them, so I am not all that worried, also it was great to get out of the heat too... Anyhow, I fished a green/white minnow, throwing it into or just on the edge of the kelp beds. Admittedly I didnt see any fish rising wich is supposed to be a bad sign...any tips/pointers as far as fly or techniques, or time of day/tide would be loved. Also I did see a very small (2-3in) fish leaping 4-5 times consecutively out of the kelp beds, any idea as to what that was and what was going on? Thanks fellas

2. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

I was across the water on the other side at Doc's. I fished the outgoing tide from 7:30am to 11am looking for blackmouth. The small fish you saw were outmigrating salmon smolt.

Leland.

3. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

Djustham:

I try to fish for sea-run cutthroat and especially salmon early in the morning during cloudy, low light conditions when there is a moderate tide exchange. I have had the most success under those conditions but there are always exceptions!

The conditions were stacked against you due to bright sun and big flood tide. It sound like you covered a lot of shoreline which is the best way to find out where fish might be hanging out. Your green/white baitfish pattern should have gotten some action if there were fish around. The shoreline which Leland was talking about has a lot more flyfisher friendly shoreline than the Titlow side.

The next month or two can be hit and miss for sea-run cutthroat as they normally scattered throughout Puget Sound then. But do not give up on this fisheries as there is a steep learning curve at the begining. Keeping a detailed fishing journal will greatly shorten the learning curve and be very useful in future years.

Hope that you will get the "hang" of this special fisheries and will be able to enjoy it into the future.

Roger

4. Flyfishsteel

Flyfishsteel New Member

I get most of my action on sections that have oyster beds around. Lots of small animal life foods for the cutts to eat. Good lcuk!