To Clear Cut or Not To Clear Cut??...

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by FinLuver, Apr 6, 2014.

1. FinLuver Active Member

Mid-Willamette Valley
    Ratings: +97 / 0
  2. TomB Active Member

seattle,wa
    Ratings: +58 / 0
    If warmer summer stream temperatures were the only goal and cold summer stream temperatures were always the factor limiting fish production, then I would tend to agree with the conclusions of this unscientific post. Unfortunately, that is not the case. This post fails to consider physical habitat quality, overwinter survival, instances where temperatures are already above optima, etc. Essentially a horribly flawed conclusion based on selective consideration of pros and cons. But if one starts with a conclusion a works backward to the facts that support that conclusion, this is what you get.
    kamishak steve and Chris Johnson like this.
  3. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,615 / 0
    Agreed. That article is an excellent example of what you get when someone totally unqualified to judge the value of salmonid habitat describes the benefits of clear-cut logging. POS article that shouldn't be associated with the name "science."

Sg
    Don Freeman, doublespey and TomB like this.
  4. martyg Active Member

The world at large
    Ratings: +74 / 0
    The admin for the site should tell you all that you need to know: Member of the Forest Policy Committee at the Society of American Foresters
  5. FinLuver Active Member

Mid-Willamette Valley
    " POS article that shouldn't be associated with the name "science." "

Funny, how a lay person, without all the two and three-letter designations after his/her name, gets tarred and feathered for making such a statement about steelhead "scientific" reports they read.

But a scientist/author in the field of fisheries can make such a claim.

I wonder if the author of this piece, and the supporting study authors in the area of forestry, also make such claims about fishery studies?

No wonder, not much has evolved in the "management" of both; if anything, the two sides should be working closely together, instead of the "in fighting and such".

However, It does remind me of the Harvest vs C&R fishing groups at Fish & Wildlife meetings...not much "progress" there either.
  6. Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Bellingham Wa.
    Ratings: +316 / 1
    So is that your angle Fin? Post things to illicit opposing statements so you can question their integrity?
  7. FinLuver Active Member

Mid-Willamette Valley
    Chris..quit being a troll.
    It's a viable question "considering"?
  8. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,356 / 9
    Wait a moment, did you just call Chris a troll. That is really rich there FinLover. Your argumentative trolling nature and fast earned reputation of posting with intent to be contrary preceded you. My greatest hope is all who are able add you to their IGNORE LIST. Our membership deserves better. How about you stop reading and preaching g and post up a quality fishing report or something.
    Dan Cuomo, Jmills81, cabezon and 3 others like this.
  9. FinLuver Active Member

Mid-Willamette Valley
    New
    FinLuver said:
    Chris..quit being a troll.
    It's a viable question "considering"?

Wait a moment, did you just call Chris a troll. That is really rich there FinLover. Your argumentative trolling nature and fast earned reputation of posting with intent to be contrary preceded you. My greatest hope is all who are able add you to their IGNORE LIST. Our membership deserves better. How about you stop reading and preaching g and post up a quality fishing report or something.

Love a Forum Moderator with Opinion.
    But ya know what they say about opinions???
    ;)
  10. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    Ratings: +675 / 0
    What about opinions? I can' wait for the epic answer! In fact I'm making popcorn in anticipation
  11. FinLuver Active Member

Mid-Willamette Valley
    add butter please... Thanks

(don't forget the beverages too. ;)
  12. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,356 / 9
    What they say about opinions is that everyone has one, and they all smell like FinLover.

You think a moderator is not permitted or capable of having a FinLover? Well, I have a FinLover, know I have a FinLover, and know when my FinLover is a good one and when it smells like a FinLover.
    Chris Johnson and flybill like this.
  13. FinLuver Active Member

Mid-Willamette Valley
    LOL...did you "Mumble" something??
  14. flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

We all understood him jackass!
    Chris Johnson likes this.
  15. Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Bellingham Wa.
    Ratings: +316 / 1
    You have a way with words Flybill.
    flybill likes this.
  16. FinLuver Active Member

Mid-Willamette Valley
    As I "expose" the "truth" for "others" to read...

I'm Luvin' It!! :p
  17. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    Ratings: +675 / 0
    I have butter and garlic salt on my popcorn,Adult beverages are on hand! Entertain me!
    flybill likes this.
  18. Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

bellingham wa
    Ratings: +541 / 0
    I knew a guy in high school who would baselessly call people alcoholics. Then they'd deny it and he'd say "denial, the fisrst sign of alhoholism They'd get angry and he'd say "anger, the second sign!" This thread reminds me of this.

Go Sox,
    cds
  19. _WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Skagit River
    Ratings: +643 / 0
  20. FinLuver Active Member

Mid-Willamette Valley
    FinLuver said:
    LOL...did you "Mumble" something??
    We all understood him jackass!
    ------------
    Must be an aspect of the "alcoholism" mentioned above.