to felt or not felt

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by ptphisher, Dec 7, 2013.

1. ptphisher Member

Bremerton, Washington
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    I am looking at buying a new pair of boots. I fish the salt a lot, but want to expand into river/streams as well. so the question arises, felt bottoms or not? my last pair did not have studs, but my next will I know this.
  2. Alexander Fishon

WA
    Ratings: +298 / 0
    Korkers - google them. solves all your problems. Bout to get some myself. :D
    astrofisher likes this.
  3. RussellB New Member

Tacoma WA
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    Where I am from felt was forbidden, went with the Simms Rivershed boots with the studs. Great traction, I don't miss felt at all-
    triploidjunkie likes this.
  4. sourdoughsmitty Member

cashmere,wa
    Ratings: +22 / 0
    I would go with just corkers last a lot longer than felt The legal issue on felt came up last year I believe Alaska was the first ot jump on the wagon for outlawing felts kinda surprised me but if the issue was the possible transportation of invasive species/bacteria than I can agree with it before all the trendy waders we have today came out us poor kids took normal waders and put aluminum scres in the soles - aluminum was used as it has the propensity to want to stick to what it touches smitty
  5. Darryl Pahl Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +89 / 0
    Late to the game, so never had felt. Simms guide boots vibram with star hardbite cleats is all I have used. I've been really happy with them, in particular climbing over slippery logs. I hike a lot in my boots as well - as a matter of fact my guide boots are the only hiking boots I have. Great for climbing on rocks on the trail.

Simms vibram guide boots without cleats is a disaster though.
  6. astrofisher Clear Skies

Tenino, Wa.
    Ratings: +54 / 0
    My brother bought a pair and they seem to be working out well for him. He didn't get the studded felt originally, but after a couple of slips, he picked up the studded felt soles.
  7. soundflycaster Member

Mossyrock, WA
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    Corkers have worked out great for me. Both the felt and the rubber grip patterns have worked just fine.
  8. Matthew Kaphan Active Member

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +41 / 1
    Korkers are great and they're what I use for fishing rivers. I just bought a pair of cheap lug soled boots for fishing the beaches. If there's any mud on the beach you're going to be walking around with sole-less Korkers. I think having a pair of boots for river use and one for beaches in the way to go.

M
  9. Justin Waters New Member

Gig Harbor
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    I'd say if you fish the salt more than the rivers, then studded or non-studded rubber is all you need. Barnacles tend to trash the felt, and felt is far more difficult to get all of the salt off of. Korkers are a nice option obviously because of the easy swap of soles. I find the Patagonia Ultralights are the most comfortable boot I have ever tried though.
  10. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +963 / 1
    I used aluminum sheet metal screws last year for my new boots. Just like walking on the sidewalk. I only put in about 10 per shoe.
  11. David Loy Senior Moment

Wolf Bay
    Ratings: +319 / 2
    rubber lug soled hip waders in the salt. felt waders in rivers
  12. Joe Goodfellow Active Member

DES moines wa
    Ratings: +103 / 0
    I don't like korkers seem to fall apart real easy. I've had 3 pair and all didn't last more then a month.
  13. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,262 / 1
    Felt for both salt and rivers. I fish a few beaches that have rocks that are nearly as slippery as rivers.
    SF
  14. High Flyin Member

Gig Harbor, WA
    Ratings: +26 / 0
    Good job. Better to ask than to just felt. Last time I assumed felt was ok, I got slapped.
  15. David Loy Senior Moment

Wolf Bay
    Ratings: +319 / 2
    SF, curious how felt holds up to beaches. Bare rocks & sand wouldn't be a problem but many prime beaches also have barnacles, etc. Thoughts? I bought some Marlwalkers years ago to fit over my Simms Guide booties, but oddly have never used them. I've always enjoyed fishing in hippers when I can get away with it. Usually I can so I keep a pair in the car.
  16. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,262 / 1
    David,
    The felt may wear out a bit sooner due to barnacles, but not enough to make me want to change.
    I had a pair of Simms flats booties that I added felt soles to for years. The booties gave up before the felt was close to dying.
    I'm now wearing a pair of Simms Headwaters. The reason I went with those is because they are the lightest boot in the Simms line-up. They weight about half of what Simms Guide boots weigh. For $99.00 they are a good value.
    They've held up well and are great for longer beach hikes due to the light weight. The only place I've found felt to really suck is in the snow.
    I have not had good luck with the rubber sole boots or Korkers that I've used in the past.
    SF
    Duane J and fish-on like this.
  17. fish-on Waters haunt me....

camano island
    Ratings: +30 / 0

Same here. Never noticed a big difference when it comes to barnacles. Every single time, boots give out before my felt does.

One more place felt sucks is on mud. Don't know how many times I've unintentionally body slammed myself walking on those with felt soles
    Stonefish likes this.
  18. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +721 / 1
    +1... why not have both options. But to answer your question, felt for me. None of the rubber soles offered up thus far are even close when certain substrate demands it (most salt fishing does not). The other thing I like about the Korkers switch soles is that you can remove the felts and throw them into a plastic tray with water/bleach while in route to the next river.
  19. Jeff Dodd Active Member

Langley, WA
    Ratings: +356 / 0
    For the salt I buy a pair of inexpensive lug sole wading boots. My last pair just rusted out when the eyelets start popping off it is time for a new pair. I found these Remmingtons on eBay for $15.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2
  20. Josh Smestad aka Mtnwkr

Bremerton, Wa
    Ratings: +67 / 0
    I'm with Stonefish in the felt club. Boots wear out long before the felt does.