to felt or not felt

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by ptphisher, Dec 7, 2013.

1. skyrise

skyrise Active Member

+100 for felt. Rubber soles are ok for salt but Certain Death in Rivers. very dangerous. i have the simms rubber soled boots. added the aluminum stars and screws. now they are ok for hiking or snow but really bad on wet logs and river rocks. i will keep them for the beaches with sand and small rocks.

2. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Media:
    My old Simms are felt bottoms, the boots get heavy but that's because they are the leather Simms. A tad bit too heavy and clunky for me to want to continue to wade with in the salt. I'll have to say though that the felt holds up, no problems there with regard to longevity and the beach I fish primarily is HEAVY with shells, heavy, nothing but razor sharp edges everywhere. I like Korkers due to the options though, felt, rubber or either studded, what's not to like.

3. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Media:
  4. ptphisher

ptphisher Member

I went studded felt. thanks for all the advice, i feel that this will give me the ability to be versatile in my adventures, now i just need to be ready to slip in the mud, but hell i have been slipping in the seaweed for the last 2 years so whats the diff.

Alexander and Jeff Dodd like this.
  5. skyrise

skyrise Active Member

fished an S river yesterday. again had a slip and fall. lucky i was in about a foot of water so no big deal. just got my arm wet and no other damage. those rubber soles are real danger on any wet wood in or out of the river. and the cleats didnt help at all. just slid on the rubber part of the boot so down i went.
    looked in Cabelas today but all they had were korkers and rubber soled boots.

6. Jim Darden

Jim Darden Active Member

where did you find aluminum sheet metal screws, looked all over but couldn't find them....

7. ptphisher

ptphisher Member

Lowes or home depot would carry them

8. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    I found them at a fastener supply company. They weren't anything fancy, just a short sheet metal screw that fit in a 1/4" socket driver. They were short in length. I bought mine at Moses Lake Steel and they have tons of fasteners. Tacoma Screw would be a wetside equivalent.... or any local hardware store.