To net or not to net. That is the question.

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by North 40 Fly Shop, Feb 24, 2012.

1. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Media:
    amazingly, I brought a net with me on the river last weekend, a big ol' knotted kingbucket that a friend found lying in shallow water on the Kow and gave to me.
    I did not hook up last weekend.

Therefore, I can empirically state that nets are useless in steelhead fishing.

2. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

you have obviously spent some time learning about gillnet mesh size, thou with the size of hatchery fish these days I would go with 4 1/2 mesh for non native steelhead

3. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

Netting steelhead is a bad idea. Salmo_g is right. Regardless of the mesh size or netting material. If you're in a boat you should get out of the boat and take it to shore to land it. The quickest and least damaging method is to bring it to shallow water, get the hook out and let it go. Flopping against a few rocks is minimally harmful if you keep them in the water.

Netting from the boat adds alot of potential damage. Netting from the bank usually requires 2 people, especially if you're using a speyrod. Lead them to the bank, remove the hook and let them go. Quick and easy.

4. Tom Palmer

Tom Palmer Active Member

The traditional method of NW steelheading is to cover lots of water in a day. As noted by many, it's a pain to carry a net big enough to handle a large steelhead/salmon around, especially on foot. They are bulky. The good ones don't come cheap. They don't do you any good if by yourself and just chased a fish 200 yards downstream and it's back on shore!

However, these traditionalists shouldn't be arguing a properly designed net has no place in fishing.

A modern rubber net, designed to gently handle fish, will greatly reduce the time a steelhead is fighting for it's life on the end of your line.

Two guys (one with the rod, one who knows how to use a net) will land and release a fish FAR faster then an angler who is counting on exhausting the fish to the point they can grab it near the tail. The net combo can also do it it many cases w/o even touching the fish with human hands.

Angling scenario:
    - Partner hooks steelhead. Other angler grabs net and shouts advice (of varying degrees of helpfulness!)
    - As fish is brought closer, guy with net places it IN WATER and the appropriate distance from angler
    - Angler gets fishes head above surface and guides fish to waiting net using strong Maxima leader
    - BOOM! Fish is in net
    - Angler immediately puts slack in line. A good % of time, hook comes out with slack (I'd say 30-50% of time).
    - Fish can often be released immediately never having been touched by human hands. These fish don't need extended recuperation. Often they are so fresh they shoot out of that net and give you a mighty splash of water on the way out!

A fish in a net never needs to be removed from the water. It often never has to be touched. If the hook doesn't come out with slack, you can often reach in, unhook barbless hook and again, never touch fish.

Does a net work in every scenario? No.
    Does it help a single angler using a 15' spey rod? Probably not.

But in the right scenario, it reduces the amount of time that wild steelhead is on your line.

I know there are some who will claim to have cat-like reflexes and bionic-arm strength, and can pluck a steelhead on the first try every time. I'm not arguing steelhead hand-tailed are not released unharmed. We know many survive just fine w/o a net.

But we have also witnessed fish poorly handled. Rocks. Thrashing on dirt. Death squeezes to midsections. Fish held out of water far too long.

To argue a net is never useful? My experience differs greatly.

5. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

1. use heavy enough gear ( you should be able to turn a fish at will after the first run ( even a big fish)
    2. fight fish hard ( to the extent of the ability of your leader) 8lb maxima minimum 12lb of anything else
    3. get the fish winded (NOT exhausted)
    4 get the fish on it's side in the shallows
    5. leave the fish in the water
    6 unhook and release the fish

I would never ever ever net a wild steelhead
    I would NEVER try to handle a wild steelhead in deep water

It's better to have a docile fish laying on it's side in the shallows than to try to grab a thrashing fish in deeper water...

6. Crump

Crump Member

Media:
    I wish it wasn't such a pain to carry a net when fishing from shore, but it's just too much trouble. When I'm in the boat though, I have a Ranger 9800 rubber mesh net,( http://prostores4.carrierzone.com/s...30/Ranger-9800R-scln--Rubber-Net-scln-/Detail) it has a 27" x 30" opening and a 24" deep basket. With this you can land fish sooner, and keep them in deep water until ready for release, the net makes it really nice if you want to try and grab a photo because you don't have to hold on to the fish while someone gets a camera ready. The downside with the rubber is the speed of which you can scoop a fish because of the water resistance against the mesh, but on the plus side, your hooks rarely get tangled, and you never have to worry about a fish beating itself up on any kind of shoreline.
    [​IMG]

7. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

Media:
    I picked up that exact same net this summer on a trip to the Mo. A little fly shop at Prewitt Creek had bought some for Montanans that were fishing the Salmon. He didn't have a lot of demand and sold them for about $40. Those Ranger nets are nice. The trout nets are great also.

8. Derek Day

Derek Day Rockyday

Media:
    I love using nets, but hate to carry them. It is so much faster to land fish. Last month I lost three fish at the bank that I would have been able to land if I had been using a net.