To Spey or Not to Spey

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Kevin Harris, Dec 9, 2002.

1. BOBLAWLESS

BOBLAWLESS New Member

As Kevin so eruditely pointed out, "Mao Tse Tung said you'll have to make a great leap forward." True. But our great leader and chairman also said, "The longest march begins with the first step." Or maybe it was Sun Yat Sen that said that. No matter the point is well taken.
    Of course you should get into spey fishing. It's what men dream about when every thing around them turns to Shultz. You plan, you plot, you lust for, you covet, you perfect and there life is. If you didn't dream of fishing, what would you dream about?
    Also, getting back to our great leader and chairman's note about long marches and first steps, try doing this:

Make a list of things you will have to do or think you will have to do, after reading all of the above, to become a spey fly caster and then list them in order of importance. Stay to the list, moving a bit at a time, pay check to pay check, and one day the door will open for you.

I personally believe that those guys on the Skagit and those on this very site are some of the world's best fly casters. How blessed we are to live near them and have a chance to meet, at least to watch them.
    The photos kill me. This little guy, ass deep in boiling water, throws a ton of line in a long arching loop that catapults like a rocket way the hell out there. If it's a thrill to watch, I'll bet it's even a bigger howl to do. Not many fish these days. But there still is a lot of free casting room to play in. Best of luck and get hooked. :THUMBSUP
    BOBLAWLESS
    P.S. Every time you go out, you should be able to cast a tiny bit farther, say the length of your elephant or so.

2. Kevin Harris

Kevin Harris New Member

Well Bob,

As Steppenwolf would put it: "God Damn the pusherman!!" Yes that's right I'm hooked. I just tied my first spey fly (first fly ever mind you) last night. I took a class from Jack Cook and was greatly surprised by the outcome. That couldn't have come from my hands but it did!! At any rate on Dec. 26th I'm going out to test out Spey rods. I don't want to hem and haw too much. I just have to settle on one and start casting (and tying) and hopefully actually catch a steelhead within a year. :THUMBSUP Thanks to you and everyone for all your help and encouragement through all my Spey trials and tribulations.

Kevlar

3. Kevin Harris

Kevin Harris New Member

When is the next Spey Clave going to be held? That would be helpful before I select my rod. Hopefully the rod will be my Billy Barule a la Ted Knight's putter from "Caddy Shack". Please refer to the 2 wav files I've enclosed for your listening pleasure. "Oh Billy, Billy, Billy...don't let me down Billy." You know wouldn't it be great if we had Spey caddys on the river. Then I could say: "Spaulding, this calls for the ole Billy Barule."

Thanks again everyone for your help,

Kevlar

4. Kevin Harris

Kevin Harris New Member

The previous attachments were sent as a HTML files. The files I'm sending are wav so they might not be supported. I'm trying again to send them as a zip file but if that doesn't work I'll give you the URL, http://www.carlspackler.com/sounds.html. The wave files are numbered 173 & 174.

Have a good one,

Kevlar