To wax or not to wax

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Jack Devlin, Feb 8, 2012.

1. I just looked up Dilly wax. It is a fly floatant. Never saw it before.

2. It is sold as a fly floatant and works well for that purpose however I use it especially for a Deer Hair dub for some large sedge patterns and it holds the dubbing surprisingly well against other forms - it also helpss the sedge to float that little bit longer.

Hope that helps.

3. Thanks Loopy. I will get some Dilly Wax and give a try. I see it is made by FLY RITE. I didn't think that company was still around. Probably over 30 years in business.
    I wonder if it has any silicone??? as most of the floatants do???

4. I started out using wax and dubbing loops, but I've subsequently found that for most of the smaller size flies (which I tend to tie 8-20), I really do not need either to get the build-up and profile desired. This is particularly true when using dubbing like Natures Spirit which, unlike natural guard hairs, are much easier to wind to thread. I also find wax tends to mat down the build up and look less natural.

5. I too has wondered about the smell of things. Bee's wax has a very sweet smell. Wonder if that could be construed
    as an attractant? Some of the glues and adhesives not so much, but a strong odor. I have no experience with the
    UV cured adhesives. Perhaps someone with more savvy understanding of these things could jump in and enlighten us on the subject.

6. Generally only use wax for two applications: to hold synthetic dubbing as i find it doesn't hold to thread well and for finishing wet fly heads. Using wax on the heads allows for criss-cross wrapping and the thread doesn't slip, providing better coverage of the head and fewer wraps to finish it.

7. Quite a few helpful comments on waxing. I too am another Overton's fan. Oddly, I have never thought of using ski wax but will try it now. Thanks for the idea.