To wax or not to wax

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Jack Devlin, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

I just looked up Dilly wax. It is a fly floatant. Never saw it before.

2. Loopy

Loopy Member

It is sold as a fly floatant and works well for that purpose however I use it especially for a Deer Hair dub for some large sedge patterns and it holds the dubbing surprisingly well against other forms - it also helpss the sedge to float that little bit longer.

Hope that helps.

3. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

Thanks Loopy. I will get some Dilly Wax and give a try. I see it is made by FLY RITE. I didn't think that company was still around. Probably over 30 years in business.
    I wonder if it has any silicone??? as most of the floatants do???

4. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    I started out using wax and dubbing loops, but I've subsequently found that for most of the smaller size flies (which I tend to tie 8-20), I really do not need either to get the build-up and profile desired. This is particularly true when using dubbing like Natures Spirit which, unlike natural guard hairs, are much easier to wind to thread. I also find wax tends to mat down the build up and look less natural.

5. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

I too has wondered about the smell of things. Bee's wax has a very sweet smell. Wonder if that could be construed
    as an attractant? Some of the glues and adhesives not so much, but a strong odor. I have no experience with the
    UV cured adhesives. Perhaps someone with more savvy understanding of these things could jump in and enlighten us on the subject.

6. S Fontinalis

S Fontinalis Active Member

Media:
    Generally only use wax for two applications: to hold synthetic dubbing as i find it doesn't hold to thread well and for finishing wet fly heads. Using wax on the heads allows for criss-cross wrapping and the thread doesn't slip, providing better coverage of the head and fewer wraps to finish it.

7. Redding Angler

Redding Angler New Member

Quite a few helpful comments on waxing. I too am another Overton's fan. Oddly, I have never thought of using ski wax but will try it now. Thanks for the idea.