Tobacco Tin Fly Boxes

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Tracy Lauricella, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Chef

Chef New Member

Scott: You have any pictures of the ones you made?

2. Tracy Lauricella

Tracy Lauricella Active Member

I hadn't planned on making any to sell. If there's interest, I may make some and trade 'em. Perhaps in trade for some flies?

Of course you could always send me a full tobacco tin- I'd be happy to empty it out for you and return it as a fly box. :)

3. scottflycst

scottflycst Active Member

I'll post some up but I don't want to hi-jack Tracy's thread. A separate thread in Tracy's honor, his homemade flyboxes are beautiful and unique,
    great work Sir!

4. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Home Page:
    Only problem with the tins is if you take 'em salt fishing , they get harder to open

5. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Media:
    I like 'em! Not being a pipe smoker, I'm unfamiliar with these tins, and there 's nothing for scale. What are the diameter and depth on these?

I've used Altoid tins for years, lining them with the stick-on ripple foam that one can buy to replace worn out foam in fly boxes cut to fit. The Altoid tins are pretty small, but perfect for some purposes. I have one devoted to BWO flies, another to caddis, another for back-country flies, and one for my 7-year old grandson with one of each of the flies from the "Olive the little woolly bugger" series. ; you get the picture. However, I like the way you've made your own slotted foam liners. I may try that in the future.

Dick

dryflylarry likes this.
  6. Kendz

Kendz New Member

DSCF0846.JPG DSCF0847.JPG DSCF0848.JPG
    Those look great! A buddy of mine uses tin cigar boxes.

Instead of cutting out foam pieces he just uses a ruler and slits it vertically. I've been using this one for a few years and not had to replace the foam.

I also put a piece of magnet that covers floor vents in the lid to hold a razorblade/small flies when wet.

7. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Media:
    Very cool cigar box there, Kendz!
    D

8. Krusty

Krusty Krusty Old Effer

Very cool! Maybe you mention it somewhere, but it would be good to drill a few inconspicuous vent holes...yeah, I know, the flies should be dried out before storage....but half the time I just throw them into one of my old Perrine boxes, and they don't rust (freshwater, of course).

You do need to talk to the copenhagen or Grizzly people to work out a co-licensing agreement. Sadly, pipe smoking is dying...but chew is still big. We could be watching you on some reality show someday...the rich tobacco-tin flybox mogul.

A tip...if you do make it rich...blow it on bodacious hillbilly penthouse bimbos and floozies. Us hobos like to dream too!