Today @ Dry Falls

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Ron McNeal, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Water is down about a foot from Spring levels and, as a result, getting out is a bit of a muddy slog from the northern-most launch. Water temp @ about 64. Eight to ten guys on the water. Winds are manageable, but trying at times. Very few fish @ the surface. One stomach sample showed lots of blood worms & calibeatis nymphs. Except for a very few damsels, saw no bugs at all. I'm not the most accomplished bobberino, but have had some great success here in the past with Ira's brilliant blood worm pattern - not this trip........ Had lots of hits on a leech & an Olive Willie, but only brought four 8-9" bows to the net. Others (not all) did better than I did, but there was not much hooping & hollering @ Dry Falls. Even with my meager production, I just love fish'n here. Weather's been just about perfect...... Tomorrow, it's off to Chopaka. Life's good!!!

Irafly, IveofIone and Jeff Dodd like this.
  2. Ron, I'm glad to hear you are getting out and enjoying your retirement. Keep up the good work!

I haven't been getting out much lately but today I did make the 11 minute drive down to the river and spent a couple of hours there chasing rainbows. I was rewarded with one 19" native that had me in the backing on one run! A hot fish in big water.

Ive

3. How deep did you fish? Last year at about the same time troutpocket and I found a lot of fish in the 20' zone at points. Now I tell you!

troutpocket likes this.
  4. I was one of the several guys out on this last Thursday at Dry Falls. Ron I may have spoke to you, were ypu in the yellow pontoon boat? I was in the red Renegade. Any way, I was with 2 other guys, we caught ours on a blood worm , black leech, and a small skud looking,hairs ear pattern my partner ties, some old pattern starting with the name Franklin. We all fished full sink lines. I saw several adult damsels, no rises for them and no damsel nymphs. no water boatman in site either. Average fish caught were 16 - 20" including a nice staulky 20" brown.

5. "Staulky"? That's a new one for this DF guy.