Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Tom Morgan Graphite

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Mark Mercer 
#1 ·
I love swinging flies with a spey rod but there's something about boulder hopping up small mountain streams throwing dries to willing cutthroat in perfect solitude that sets my soul back into balance. So my most important rod is my 3 weight, a Burkheimer 389. I also tried a Winston IM6 386 and that was a special rod too, I really regret selling it but I always grabbed the Burkie. The holy grail for me was a Tom Morgan.

I've been on his waiting list for about a year. I figured it will be another couple years before my number ever came up. I know Tom has some health issues so I wasn't positive I'd be able to purchase one of his rods ever. Still, I've been saving some money in my 'fishing fund' just in case.

A few days back, I happened to check the devils playground and saw an auction for a Morgan rod that had only been going a couple hours. It was the right length and in like-new condition so I told my wife. She told me to get my ass in there and buy it before someone else beat me to it so she wouldn't have to put up with my moping around over the holidays...

The rod arrived today. Very classy from the custom shipping tube to the cover for the beautiful tube, the padded rod sock and finally the deep garnet gem of a rod. It was like playing with one of those layered Russian Dolls. I'm in full-on swinging for Steel mode right now but waggling the Morgan 386 in the living room has me thinking of those long summer days where the golden hour of dusk seems to last forever.

Happy New Year!

See less See more
#2 ·
nice catch! i am indeed jealous, but it sounds like it's gone to a good home. Tom is a great guy and if it's a glass blank you ordered from him, they may be coming in the next month or two. boy am i excited!! just wish i could afford 2 blanks. maybe i should get selling plasma or a kidney...

#6 ·
I'm getting a complete rod in graphite. I doubt it will be anytime soon. Based on his normal wait time, I probably have at least another year, probably 2.

_WW_ that's a cool reel. I was initially thinking about an old 2 7/8 perfect but I think a 3" St George or Junior will get the call. My favorite small trout reels are the Godfrey classics but I'm pretty rough on gear and when I was using my 275, I was often thinking more about not dinging the reel than I was about sneaking up on the trouts.

#9 ·
Update...

Just spoke with Tom & Gerri and my rod is in the works. It'll be his current version of the TMF, a medium-light 8' 4wt 3-piece. I ordered mine with a cigar grip and a down-locking slide band with a burl reel seat. From his site:
"The 8', 4-weight, 3-piece rod is a softer rod for fishing close to medium distances with great delicacy."

I fished the 3wt for the first time last weekend and it was just dreamy. I'm very excited to get this 4wt. Just talking to one of my flyfishing heros, Tom Morgan on the phone was a thrill. Based on my emails and short phone conversation, he and Gerri seem like incredibly nice folks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.