Tomorrow winter lakes open up

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by seanengman, Nov 30, 2006.

1. seanengman Trout have no politics

davenport, wa
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    I was curious as to what fly patterns and sizes that I can readily buy at a store to take with me to Fourth of July Lake. I love FoJ, but now I flyfish and everything is different. I used to take trout with green Powerbait, but I can't get the powerbait to stay on the hook while fly casting. Thanks.
    Sean
  2. chadk Be the guide...

Snohomish, WA.
    Ratings: +41 / 0
    Will this be ice fishing?
  3. seanengman Trout have no politics

davenport, wa
    Please don't tell me it is froze over already.
  4. chadk Be the guide...

Snohomish, WA.
    Ratings: +41 / 0
    dunno, just asking...
  5. LT Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    I'd be pretty suprised if Forth of July doesn't have at least a thin layer on it after these past few day, but who know's I could be wrong. In the winter, I've always done well with bloodworms, chironomids, wolly buggers and small leaches.
  6. scott146 New Member

Newberg, OR
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    How about a plain old Glo-Bug? I know some purists look down on this pattern, but it's artificial and it works. I don't know about Fourth of July Lake specifically, though.
  7. spowino New Member

Spokane, WA
    Sprague Lake completely froze over between 2pm Tuesday and 2pm Wednesday.
    I would venture a guess that 4th of July did the same.
  8. Mike Ediger Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +131 / 8
    LT has got it pretty well covered.
    I am not trying to over-simplify but a lot of flies will work out there. Obviously some better than others, but if you can't catch a fish on a bloodworm, chironomid (black, chromie, red seem to work best), bugger, or half-back, then you probably need to change your depth, or move 40 feet in one direction (or however far you can cast). Not that it is always a sure thing. But you really don't need anything more than that selection.
    Mike
  9. FISHTOLIVE MEMBER

Silverton, OR
    Both Fourth and Hog have ice........LT and mediger pegged it as usual for flies........just need to fish moving water for now:thumb:
  10. seanengman Trout have no politics

davenport, wa
    That sucks. I think I'm gonna hit Lincoln on Roosevelt then maybe Crab Creek. Y'all should check out the pic on Swede's website from Crab. Thanks.
    Sean
  11. Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Missoula, MT
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    OK,
    To get powerbait to stay on the hook while fly fishing with powerbait make sure that instead of the moldable stuff you buy the egg cluster version, then slip on an egg hook. Because this stuff floats a sinking line and no retrieve is recomended. Its a killer on the Olymipic Penn. for wild steelies!!
  12. LT Member

Spokane, WA
    It's secrets like this that got Zen onto the National FF under 18 team!
  13. Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Mount Vernon, WA
    Ratings: +105 / 0
    You can thin down the powerbait with shrimp oil and witch hazel to make a wonderful dip for any marabou flies (it's a real fish magnet);)

Daryle
  14. LT Member

Spokane, WA
    .........and speaking of dip. green powerbait mixxed with sour cream is a hit at office Christmas parties!
  15. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +652 / 1
    After dipping that marabou fly in shrimp oil the flies movement in the water is really enhanced.;)
  16. seanengman Trout have no politics

davenport, wa
    I think I might try it.
    Sean