Tools for First Rod

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Steve Call, Feb 24, 2011.

1. I've decided to build my first rod. I'll probably start with a kit that includes the blank, reel seat, cork, guides, glues, etc.

But what about a rod wrapper with tension adjusters? And, is getting a finishing motor worth it? They seem awfully expensive. I'm hoping this will be the first of many rods.

Any and all suggestions/comments welcome.

Thanks, Steve

2. sparvar instead of epoxy because you won't need to rotate the rod. then all you need are a small glass to hold the thread spool and a book thru which you run the wrapping thread.

3. FlexCoat Business Starter Kit. Less then $170 and comes with everything you need including book and DVD,

4. Wow, $170. bucks to start! Ridiculous!!! Pick your rod blank, either from a kit offered by Hook & Hackle or other source, or blank from personal choice. Kits usually include flex coat, thread, guides, etc. plus instructions. Wrap the guides, use a book for tensioner or make your own from sewing machine tensioner. It's not rocket science, 1st rod you can improvise, after applying epoxy turn the rod at 10-15 minute intervals to prevent sagging, or rig up a turner. You can use a barbecue motor, usually available for $1.00 or so from Goodwill if you don't have one. After the first or 2nd rod you build, I can almost guarantee you will be addicted, this can be an expensive experience but a great hobby. I strongly suggest an instructional book like Skip Morris's book on building graphite rods, out of print but available thru Amazon, or other authors.

5. Dale Clemen's book is still the classic on the topic

6. I went up to Gregs in Lake Stevens when I got started and he set me up with what I needed. He sells his own wrapping jigs for $35, and sells used ones for $17, which is what I bought and have been perfectly happy with. He also has a ton of components in stock.