Tools for First Rod

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Steve Call, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Steve Call Active Member

Wetside, WA
    Ratings: +188 / 0
    I've decided to build my first rod. I'll probably start with a kit that includes the blank, reel seat, cork, guides, glues, etc.

But what about a rod wrapper with tension adjusters? And, is getting a finishing motor worth it? They seem awfully expensive. I'm hoping this will be the first of many rods.

Any and all suggestions/comments welcome.

Thanks, Steve
  2. rockthief Fly fishing = food for my soul

Brownsville Oregon
    Ratings: +29 / 0
    sparvar instead of epoxy because you won't need to rotate the rod. then all you need are a small glass to hold the thread spool and a book thru which you run the wrapping thread.
  3. NewTyer1 Banned or Parked

Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Ratings: +29 / 1
    FlexCoat Business Starter Kit. Less then $170 and comes with everything you need including book and DVD,
  4. Couleeflyfisher Member

Ratings: +5 / 0
    Wow, $170. bucks to start! Ridiculous!!! Pick your rod blank, either from a kit offered by Hook & Hackle or other source, or blank from personal choice. Kits usually include flex coat, thread, guides, etc. plus instructions. Wrap the guides, use a book for tensioner or make your own from sewing machine tensioner. It's not rocket science, 1st rod you can improvise, after applying epoxy turn the rod at 10-15 minute intervals to prevent sagging, or rig up a turner. You can use a barbecue motor, usually available for $1.00 or so from Goodwill if you don't have one. After the first or 2nd rod you build, I can almost guarantee you will be addicted, this can be an expensive experience but a great hobby. I strongly suggest an instructional book like Skip Morris's book on building graphite rods, out of print but available thru Amazon, or other authors.
  5. rockthief Fly fishing = food for my soul

Brownsville Oregon
    Ratings: +29 / 0
    Dale Clemen's book is still the classic on the topic
  6. Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Maple Valley
    Ratings: +262 / 3
    I went up to Gregs in Lake Stevens when I got started and he set me up with what I needed. He sells his own wrapping jigs for $35, and sells used ones for $17, which is what I bought and have been perfectly happy with. He also has a ton of components in stock.