Toon advice

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Mark Kulikov, Jun 18, 2006.

1. Mark Kulikov

Mark Kulikov Active Member

Distinguished anglers. I've been considering upgrading from a tube to a toon for fishing the larger stillwater and slow moving rivers in my area. Never had one, never been on one. Seeking advice for a good, dependable starter toon at a mid-range price $600.00 to $800.00. Recommendations, advice on what to look for by experienced tooners much appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Joz

Joz Member

Why not take a day and come down to our clubs sports show, buy a one doller ticket and maybe win a pontoon boat, check us out at www.pcanglers.org thanks

3. Tony Mull

Tony Mull Member

Media:
    here's some sites to check out outdoorsportz.com, oregonfishing.com, creekcompany.com, flyfishusa.com, waterskeeter.com, and of course cabelas.com. those sites all sell pontoons and have some good info also.
    Outcast and Bucks Bags and Waterskeeter all make good quality poontoons and have models well within your price range. Creek company tends to be a little less quality but are very serviceable especially for the use you describe. for $999 or so you can go up to the Dave Scadden/Northfork Outdoors Skykomish Sunrise and be absolutely bullet proof. That's probably overkill. I can personally recommend a Bucks Bag Southfork as a very durable and well made pontoon. Welded rather than stitched seams are good, urethane rather than vinyl/PVC bladders are good, 8 foot pontoons minimum. 7 foot oars rather than 6, built in anchor systems are good (although I currently use a homemade rig that works great and cost less than $10), diamond plate rear deck is good instead of mesh or wire, lighter weight is good especially when you are hoisting the thing up on your roof, carrying capacity doesn't mean so much beyond 300 pounds or so for most uses, standing platforms are great for sight fishing and just to releive pressure on your butt, waterskeeter chetco might be the only one in your price range. There's no substitute for actually looking at the product first hand and that can be very difficult and time consuming to do, shows, as suggested above, are good opportunities.

4. Jason Decker

Jason Decker Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    mark, do yourself a huge favor and go buy dan soltau's watermaster posted in the classifieds section. also, you can demo the watermasters available from our gear program. contact chris scoones. also, you can watch trout bum diaries movie to see how much use you can get out of those. if i get a smaller boat (smaller than a DB) then it will definately be a watermaster.
    they sell new ones at creekside in issaquah.

5. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    $600-$800 should be more than enough. I'd highly recommend boats by both Buck's Bags and Outcast.

Make sure and save some budget dollars for some Oar-Rites, a couple different size or type anchors, a couple of Scotty rod holders, and some sort of waterproof gear storage behind the seat.

Some guys use dry bags, but they can be kinda expensive for anything that'll keep your lunch and clothes dry as well as hold extra reels and other gear. I use a large blue Rubbermaid storage tub with a snap-on lid. Rivet a couple of metal cleats to the sides and you can use webbing straps with snap fitting to secure to your boat's frame.

K

6. Mark Kulikov

Mark Kulikov Active Member

Thanks guys. I gotta say that the Skykomish Sunrise H2 looks pretty sweet. I like the sliding hard deck and retractable stand rail design. I'll keep shopping around. Good advice as usual. Thank You

7. Dirk Pitt

Dirk Pitt New Member

Media:
    Mark, look closely at the anchor systems on the cheaper toons, some only use a bag of rocks! Personally, I like the 10ft toons by Skookum, Bad Cat, etc. I have toons from Sos at Extreme fly gear in Tukwila, and a custom frame also by Sos, with some design changes by me, look at my toon pictures to get an idea. The Skykomish sunrise is a nice boat as well, but it is in the $1000 range with the bladders, $1400 bladderless. Bob.