Top 10 Favorite Steelhead flies

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by gigharborflyfisher, Jan 20, 2008.

1. gigharborflyfisher

gigharborflyfisher Native Trout Hunter

Ok, so I am a little new to the whole steelhead game, I have been out a handful of times over that last few years with nada to show for it. However I want to put a little better selections of flies together, and before I get to randomly tying up steelhead patterns at the vise, I thought that I would see you patterns you guys suggest.

So what are you top 10 favorite producers for winter steelhead????

2. Mark Ritari

Mark Ritari Trouthunter

Mega prince came through this weekend. It is basically an oversize (sz 4ish) bh prince with rubberlegs.

3. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

I've caught nearly all my steelhead this year on a fly called the Kilowatt, a fly I picked up in FF magazine. Then again, I have used it for 90% of my fishing, so there you go. I've mostly been swinging with a spey rod. For nymphing I use a large prince like Mark with a dropper of some sort and have done well with that.

Then again, most people will tell you the fly doesn't matter as much as your confidence in it. You gotta "feel like the fly", in a zen sort of way. Hard to explain, but once you get it, you'll know.

Wayne

4. Clint F

Clint F Fly Fishing Youth

My top 2 favorite are a baby pink size 4 glo bug with a red dot and some dumbell eyes for weight with a little estaz hot pink wraped around the back for a little added attraction. And second a pink rabit leach on a size 2 steelhead hook with dumbell eyes and like an orange dubbing egg around the dumbells. I use 1 strip for the tail and cross cut up to the dumbells. I lost one on the pink leach today. :mad:
    I hope this helps. :beer2:

Clint

5. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

For winter steelhead on the west side (Mark's fly was used on summer fish), I think you have about 7 too many flies.

For swinging or nymphing, here are my only 3 flies:
    1. Some sort of eggs, in lots of colors. Beads, glue eggs or glo bugs all work.
    2. General Practitioner in purple black and olive
    3. Moal leach. Purple and blue/black, orange/black is also killer

I've caught fish nymphing and swinging all of these flies.

6. Ryan Buccola

Ryan Buccola I ain't broke but brother I am badly bent

the bigger and nastier the better!!!

7. mike doughty

mike doughty Honorary Member

i like whatever zen likes

8. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

size 8 wooly worm
    size 6 franks fly
    size 4 egg sucking leach
    size 6 ginger bunny fly
    size 4 electric king bugger
    size 6 pink sparkle shrimp
    size 4 bjorn super prawn
    size 4 orange sparkle shrimp
    size 4 general practicioner
    size 10 copper john, red

I refuse to fish globugs they are disrespectful to the steelhead, one should at least take some time to make a pretty fly for them

9. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

I'm always amazed at the absence of classic Pacific Northwest steelhead flies that appear in these lists.
    Les Johnson

10. Preston

Preston Active Member

Hear, hear Les. The classics will still catch 'em and probably as well or better than what Harry Lemire called "all this damned science fiction stuff". The classic of classics is, of course, the Skykomish Sunrise, but the Polar Shrimp, Purple Peril, Hellcat, Brad's Brat and a host of others are highly effective, and steelhead still find them attractive.

11. snbrundage

snbrundage Member

Classics? You Bet! Here's my list for Summer fish.

Skykomish Sunrise, Fall favorite, Purple Matuka, Black Leach, Bakke's October Caddis.

I think I wouldn't need much else, but I wouldn't go at all if I couldn't start with the October Caddis.

Steve

12. Jergens

Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

ive caught more fish swinging a skykomish sunrise than any other swinging bug!

13. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

Top ten:
    Winter/Spring - General Practitioner, black, orange or purple.
    Summer/Fall - Spade, black.

14. EMPyre

EMPyre Erich with an H -Top Water Soldier-

Ahh, family ties...
    Skykomish sunrise, Purple Peril, McLoed's Ugly. I've got a couple of variants that I tied up that got the nod from George, and the fish too.

15. Denny

Denny Active Member

Green butt skunk? Classic or not?

16. PT

PT Physhicist

I probably got me first dozen or so fish on the Polar Shrimp, or the Kispiox Special which is a close relative. Then I realized it had to be more difficult than that so I started to tie flys that actually looked really cool. I didn't catch more fish with those fancy flies, it just made me stand on shore longer than usual trying to decide which fly looked best to me in my box.

17. Preston

Preston Active Member

For some reason I've never thought of the Green-Butt Skunk as a winter steelhead pattern though I've fished it a lot during the summer. the Green-Butt Skunk is a fairly recent variant of the Skunk (it's not even mentioned in Trey Combs' 1976 Steelhead Fly Fishing and Flies) and the origin of the basic Skunk itself is uncertain. It may well have originated as a summer-run fly on the Umpqua. An early pattern for the Skunk featured a white-over-black wing with the white applied as a narrow stripe.

18. Steelie Mike

Steelie Mike Active Member

Not in any Particular Order:

1. Spade
    2. Steelhead Coachman
    3. MOAL Leech
    4. Spey Bug (Swannundaze O Caddis Pattern)
    5. Crystal Caddis
    6. Intruders (purple or gray/grizzly)
    7. Caballero egg (straight eye hooks only)
    8 Spun Marabous
    9. Halcyon
    10. Blue Charm

19. gigharborflyfisher

gigharborflyfisher Native Trout Hunter

Thanks for all of the input everyone!!

20. fullerfly

fullerfly Calvin Fuller

Ten Flies is a lot. I usually just use one with an alteration of different colors. Unless I am nymphing...but I don't do that.....