Top water pile worm patterns work!

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Roger Stephens, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

Yesterday Kelvin made a post (dry fly sea-run cutthroat patterns)in patterns forum which got my attention. He had seen sea-run cutthroat chasing after pile worms that were on the water surface. So last night I tried tying up some top water pile worm patterns. The two patterns that looked the best were articulated tube and rabbit strip tube pile worm patterns. Both patterns have a foam head to be able to skate it. The articulated tube pattern was a time consuming process while the rabbit strip tube pattern was very easy/simple and only took 2 or 3 minutes to tie.

This afternoon I want out to try out the patterns midway through a big ebb tide at a good sea-run cutthroat location. I fished for a little over 1 hour and was pleasantly surprised how successful the top water pile worm patterns were. I landed quite a few nice sized fish(14 to 17 inches) with the largest one shown in the photograph below. It was caught on the rabbit strip tube pattern. The pattern slide up the leader but it can be seen in the upper left part of photograph. Most of the strikes were very aggressive. Both of the patterns worked about equally well but I am going to "stick" with the rabbit strip pile worm pattern since it is so much easier to tie. Plus, there are a few refinements that can be easily made to it and there are more colors that I can use for this pattern.

Roger

Steve Ufer and John Bisset like this.
  2. a_fors

a_fors Active Member

That's awesome! I wish that I had a spot to fish Sea Run Cutts over here while i'm going to school!!!

3. James Harrington

James Harrington Active Member

Innovation taking place before our eyes.

4. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    How fun is that! Thanks Roger. Makes me want to get back out there. Very kool.

5. Jonathan Tachell

Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Media:
    Nice work Roger, that is pretty cool stuff.

6. SeaRun Fanatic

SeaRun Fanatic Member

Definitely!

7. Richard Torres

Richard Torres Active Member

Media:
    Nicely done Roger.

Always satisfying catching fish on an experimental fly.

8. Dale Dennis

Dale Dennis Formally Double-D

Way to go Roger, looking forward to fishing that pattern this spring. I am curious as to your presentation that made it successful.

9. Ben Guss

Ben Guss Member

Thanks for the report- glad to see your luck on the top in winter!
    Can you post a photo of the rabbit fly?

Many thanks,
    Ben

10. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

Dale:

I was casting out from shore at a 45 degree angle and used a moderate retrieve to keep the pattern skating on the swing and up current. I am going to try using a faster retrieve since pile worms can at times move rapidly. The water depth was 2 to 5 ft. The strikes were usually very aggressive since about 75% of the time I either hooked or stung any sea-run cutthroat which chased after the pattern. I was having to make pretty long casts since I was fishing from shore and the fish were out quite aways. It was often a little dificult to get a good hook set when quite a bit of line was out. The location that I was fishing is know to have olive pile worms so I used two toned black(barred)/olive rabbits strip with a small foam head(olive) in the front of the pattern. Another color which I am anxious to try is black barred gold variant rabbit strip.

Roger

11. Billy Vanosdol

Billy Vanosdol Fly Chuker

Thanks for sharing.

12. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

That's cool!

13. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

Well, some of you will want to burn me for a heretic, but it won't be the first time.

Some of us have come to believe that the presentation is more important than what's tied on your string. A well known and respected local guide and former fly shop owner proved it to me for good. After listening to one of those hour long conversations where they were arguing colors, material, which flavor of sparkle one MUST use etc, *** **** attached a toothpick to a leader with a tiny rubber band and bent a hook on it.

He cast the thing on a local beach in the straits, got a good little "V" going as it skated across the shallows, and commenced to hooking SRCs or cutties, or blue backs, or harvest trout or whatever it is I'm supposed to call clarki clarki now.

Led me to believe that "how" is as important as "what". Maybe more.

14. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

Media:
    Don,

I've caught Coastal Cutts on
    Stimulators, Adult Caddis, and a
    wide selection of top water flies
    that leave a wake.

Dave

15. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

Right on Dave. It's fun to fine tune patterns that work, but I'm guessing that some of these guys like Roger and Leland have their presentations down so pat they could hook fish on a Tampon, fresh from the wrapper. Till it gets soggy anyway.

16. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    Do you really think so, Roger and Leland????? :rofl::rofl:

17. Dale Dennis

Dale Dennis Formally Double-D

Thanks Roger, I noticed the beach you are fishing has a fair amount of rocks this is where you find the olive what I call rock worm but what most would call a pile worm. On a lower tide flip some of the larger rocks over and you will see what I mean.

Don great analogy, although I don’t think I would fish the pattern you refer too I do know that presentation is extremely important over all.

18. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Dang, Don, I think you might get along with my brother, since you seem to come up with the same kind of imagery. He once costumed up as a "Rely Tampon" for a Halloween party. :rofl:

19. Allegheny Hank

Allegheny Hank Allegheny Hank

Hi I'm new here, so I hope I don't offend anyone or get slammed just for asking, but could you possibly post an up close picture of your pattern?

20. Steve Rohrbach

Steve Rohrbach Puget Sound Fly Fisher

Media:
    Hank, welcome to the forum. You will find Roger is one of the most generous, willing to share members of this forum. He will gladly share a close-up photo. I have fished with Roger for years and have already seen three different versions of this new fly. It is a work in progress. I am pretty sure he is close to finishing it (subject to some further testing.) Once he is comfortable with the fly, he will post a good photo and probably tying instructions.

Feel free to continue to ask questions. Most people here will be willing to give you an honest answer.

Tight lines, Steve