Total confusion

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Wes Telyea, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Jason Chadick

Jason Chadick A Fish, A Fish, A Fishy, Oh...

As a spey-newb I have had many issues over the past year trying to figure out lines. As far as the summer thing goes, I decided to pick up one of the Airflo Rage Compacts a couple of months ago and I frickin' love it. I just went with the airflo recommendation which is to just line down one step (I fish a 540 Skagit, therefore went to a 510 rage) and I've been using longer polyleaders both floating and sinking around 14' (I'm a pretty aggressive caster). This set up totally rocks IMO and was pretty intuitive to get the hang of. I cast it much better than my winter set up.

2. Wadecalvin

Wadecalvin Member

I ha
    I have that rod- If you attach a mow floater to the 550 skagit it will work but it may feel heavy for what most prefer for dry line casting...

450 to 480 total grains for a skagit and tip (eg. 400 grn skagit + 50 to 80 grain floating tip) would load the rod nicely

420 - 480 Airflo Rage would be nice on it

450 + - grain compact scandi is nice

3. Wes Telyea

Wes Telyea Member

Wade,

Thanks for the info.

4. Ian Broadie

Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

Media:
    Home Page:
    I'm coming in late and I didn't read all of the comments in the thread so I may be rehashing something, the purpose of MOW tips is to keep the same mass in a 10' floating MOW tip as you would in the 10' sinking MOW tip either light, medium, or heavy. So in short you'll be fine don't over think a bunch of whatever and even though MOW tips are not cheap they cost less than a new line/shooting head.

Example of what I mean is: My favorite searun cutthroat set up is a 5wt switch rod, 350 grain skagit head, light floating MOW tip, about 10' of tapered leader, and a weighted fly. Works like a champ, can cast all day long at distance and when I need to go short the MOW tip allows me to turn over a weighted fly in a single handed cast between 10 and 30 feet (IE: why it's called a switch rod).

Thanks,

5. Fred Krow

Fred Krow Member

in a single handed cast between 10 and 30 feet (IE: why it's called a switch rod).

A Switch rod is a term by Bob Meiser that was originally intended for a short two handed rod that was designed for TH Spey Casting or TH Overhead Casting,,,,, not single hand.

The industry and not very knowledgeable writers have changed the definition. A 4wt or 5wt 11ft rod will cast easily SH or TH and we see this used commonly.

The popular definition for "Switch" rod today is a TH rod under 12ft in length. Do not care how you cast it if the fly gets out to the fish.

Regards,
    FK

6. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

I could go to great lengths, as could most of the others posting, regarding head styles, lines lengths, grain weights, sink tips, floating tips, ad infinitum. In the end, you would most likely be just as confused as before. So I'll make it short & sweet. Call Steve G! Get a floating head made to suit your rod and your needs. One rod, one reel, one spool, a head/tip wallet consisting of zip loc bags. It doesn't get much simpler than that.

7. Ian Broadie

Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

Media:
    Home Page:
    I am aware that Bob Meiser coined the term switch rod and I also know that single handed casting was very much in the equation regarding that term. When using a switch rod one can choose to single hand cast, two hand overhead cast, or "spey" cast the rod.

In my opinion "switch rods" over 11' are merely short two handed rods that are impractical for the average caster ,and I stress the word average, to overhead cast. Additionally a 15' two handed rod, when lined correctly, can be overhead cast with two hands but most certainly would not be considered a switch rod.

Anyway terms are confusing and we could go round and round about nothing really. I stand by my setup of the skagit head with a floating MOW tip as simple, versatile, and super effective.

Thanks,

8. speyghillie

speyghillie speyghillie

Hi All,
    I just wanted to say Bob Meiser is a really nice guys and makes some great rods, but the term Switch rods goes back to the 1870's, and that a switch cast did involve a change of direction, around the world Instructors call a Switch cast....... a cast without change of direction and it pisses me off, because it is wrong.
    Anyway Switch rods and switch casting ........as old as Speycasting itself.
    Cheers Gordon.

fisshman26 likes this.
  9. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

From personal experience Steve can build 'anything.' Lord knows where he 'accesses' his base line material, but darned interesting to read the 'line description' that come with my 'new toys.' As an example I have a 7wt Meiser, a 7wt Anderson and a 7wt Burkie. Difference in length of the rods runs from 13'3'' to 13'9'' ... and the lines (one to the other) is well over 3 feet. Grains? Lightest is 520 the heavy one is 525. 3.5 foot from top to bottom and the same number of grains.