towing a drift boat behind a subaru outback?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by mcp, Mar 20, 2006.

1. mcp

mcp just like fishin'

anyone have any experience towing a fiberglass drift boat behind a newer (2002) subaru outback? i have the boat and now need to tow it in the event one of my SUV driving buddies is not available.

if anyone has any experience towing with an outback let me know how it worked. i would think i need to stick with some of the more well maintained take outs.

=)

thanks
    -mark

2. Josh Benjamin

Josh Benjamin Member

Do you know the tow capacity of the outback?
    that would be the biggest piece. there are a lot of subaru owners on this site, i'm sure someone will chime in.
    a couple hundreed pounds for the trailer, i think my 16' drifftboat weighs around 400#, i might be wrong. i would guess you'll be fine, just watch the wind, you will probably get tossed around a bit in the wind.

3. mcp

mcp just like fishin'

the car is rated for 2000lbs with a tounge weight of 200lbs. i think this boat is around 250-300lbs, add 300 more for the trailer and i think it sounds quite reasonable.

thanks,
    -mark

4. Don Perry

Don Perry Member

I had the same car, same size boat and it handled it great. Unless the takeout is heavily rutted and clearance is a problem I wouldn't worry about that either.

5. XstreamAngler

XstreamAngler ...has several mistresses.

Media:
    Home Page:
    you're dope there buddy, tongue wt of a boat on trailer is pretty low, I've seen EVERYTHING tow drift boats from VW Busses to an IROC Camaro, you will most likely tow better as opposed to a SUV or truck, the air pocket your vehicle makes will encompass your entire moving fleet, whereas I have found with larger SUV's and Trucks, its two different air pockets fighting each other. Now I am no physics or aero genius by all means, nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but based on my years of towing boats, being in vehicles towing boats and watching boats being towed get blown off the road, I am just passing on my experience. Have fun!

SAK
    www.XstreamAnglers.Com
    www.HydeOutdoors.Com

6. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Just make sure your brakes are good, and allow for stopping distance, as sometimes the extra weight will push on you a little bit if you have to stop quickly...not much, but it can be noticeable going downhill.

Jimbo

7. stokes

stokes Guest

I tow a Clacka behind my 05 Outback.

Weight wise you wouldn't even know it's there. Only complaint being you can't see what is behind you while moving straight...boat is wide.

Tounge weight is light even with a spare mounted. Boat and trailer come in under 700lbs.

8. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    MCP,

Weight won't be an issue, but wind drag might bother you some. My old sled had a pointy drift boat type bow with the same deadrise, so the bow was higher than the back of my Outback. I could tow it, but the wind drag did bother me.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

9. Dan Soltau

Dan Soltau New Member

Media:
    seen it done many times, although i dont know if it can be done with my subie? Anybody try it on 2.5 RS sedan?

10. Steelie Mike

Steelie Mike Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I have been in a Subi with a H4 that was able to tow a clack. If you have a H6 then your are even better off. Give it a try.

11. Flyfishsteel

Flyfishsteel New Member

Had a 99' Outback 4 cyl 2.5 litre...bought my 2001 Clack...thought about the MAJOR drag through the pass,etc...sold the Outback...bought a 98' 4Runner 6cyl 3.4 cyl and never looked back.

You also have to consider 3 200lb men in the Outback and 700lbs behind your vehicle, that is ALOT of weight to be pulling on 4 cylinders up and down hills. Keep it at a minimum, good luck! If you plan on fishing any of the Peninsula rivers, forget it. The put ins and take outs are not for the moderate vehicles, 4x4 and some clearance is a must!

:ray1: :thumb:

12. solduc

solduc New Member

towed my willie boat all over montana with a '98 outback no, problems, just couldn't do much over 80 when it was snow packed.

13. Jim Darden

Jim Darden Active Member

The guide that I used on the Missouri used an Outback to tow his drift boat for years with no problems. You can't get much harder used than that. PS-last year he moved up to a Suburban for more room inside.

14. Fish Hunter

Fish Hunter Too many people, not enough fish

This may not help Mark on his upcoming trip but boat covers make a huge difference in the fuel sucking vortex that pregnent-sow drift boats create while towing.