Trade: Your small creek rod for my trout rod

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by Ed Call, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Okay, you've got a small creek rod, preferably a 3wt glass or bamboo, that you are not using optimally. You want to fish a bit bigger water or lakes for a bit larger trout. Let's make a deal.

2. ansas

ansas The Good Ol' Days are Now!

Are you looking for a short 3wt or is the light line weight most important?
    What is the trade item(s)?

3. Ed Call

Ideally I'd find a 3wt fiberglass rod of 7' or shorter length. If you've got something that might work, PM what you are lacking. I can't possibly list all the items that might make the trading block.

4. Josh

Josh dead in the water

What you want is to get a Lamiglas "honey" blank and then build it up yourself. Or, do like I did, and beg a friend to build it up. I've got two now and want a third. GREAT small stream rods.

5. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

Mumbles , Man up and get a tenkara rod, then you will have a ideal small stream rod.. dang I got to go get a beer!!!

6. Porter

Porter Active Member

Heard great things about those rods. All have been built.....do they not sell a mfg sets?

7. Ed Call

I've got a 7'3" 4wt. Awesome! Want one a tad lighter and shorter.

Got one, compliments of Mark Walker...birthday Tenkara...and yes I'm drinking a cold one for that.

Mine is great and it came built up by Prairie Drifters. Lugan turned me onto this rod...he should be ashamed for feeding the gear whore within.

8. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

Modern glass rods are small stream crack.

Ed, why not sell the rod you're looking to unload and take the cash to buy exactly the short rod you want?

9. nb_ken

nb_ken Member

I got a Loomis GL3 6' 6" 3 wt. Any interest?

10. Ed Call

Lugan, good point, but I have not targeted the 4, 5 or 6 weight to sell to fund the 3wt. Good advice though. I'll percolate on that one! Thanks.

Ken, looking for glass or grass lighter than my current 4wts in those materials. I have graphite-a-plenty down to 3 and below. They all work well but there is somthing about a brushy stream and a fiberglass rod.

11. nb_ken

nb_ken Member

That's what I figured. Not really looking to move that little Loomis, but hey, you never know.

12. tonemike

tonemike fish'n glass

I agree! you might peruse the fiberglass flyrodders' site to get some more ideas. Fred Paddock's lemon drops, Kabuto's clear-ish white unpainted blanks, and several others might do the trick. enjoy the hunt!

13. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

14. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

I built one of the honey Lami's fiberglass 6'6" 3wt rods myself and love it to death. I might be talked out of it for a top of the line 5 or 6 wt Spey rod with a Hardy reel to match, or maybe your cataraft that you have posted pics of. Short of that, build your own. You will love it that much more.

Wayne

15. Ed Call

Wayne, that is a tough offer...maybe I'll build my own.
    Lugan is an enabler.

16. Brookie_Hunter

Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

It's not a 3 wt but the latest reincarnation of the perennial Eagle Claw Featherlight 4/5wt (6.5ft or 7ft) is no slouch and for the price of an upscale Taco Dinner it's yours! Not selling, just sayin'.

17. Ed Call

Dave is trying to tease me with my taco money! I've heard good things about the Claw.

18. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Then you want to build yourself a Lamiglas honey 6'6 3wt.

19. Ed Call

Why not sell yours to me?

20. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

What do you want for the 7'3" 4wt? I'll help finance your 3 wt, just sayin.