Trailer Hooks

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by D3Smartie, Feb 28, 2005.

1. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

I am going to tie up some articulated flies for alaskan salmon and was wondering what your favorite hook for a trailer was. I am thinking either Gamigatsu or Owners in about 1/0 or 2/0.
    thanks
    david

2. clacksteel39

clacksteel39 New Member

Personally, I prefer gams octopus in size 1/0. They seem to have a good hook-up ration and aren't to big, but big enough.

3. TomB

TomB Active Member

I usually use Gami octopus size 4...seems plently big for the winter steel around here.
    -Thomas

4. MrP

MrP Member

I've used the #2 & #4 Gam. hooks and been happy with them. Two weeks ago I purchased some Owner brand hooks and used them to tie some "Stinger Leeches". They are needle sharp but I haven't fished them yet. I don't know if they are brittle or not. The shop recommended them as the new and best stinger hook they had. Come on, I don't tie flies to save money; I tie because I'm a gearhead, because trying new stuff intrigues me, because daydreaming at the vise makes me smile, and because I'm nuts.

5. Jeremy Husby

Jeremy Husby Is there a Vahalla for fishermen?

Mustad 92553 in #1's

6. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Gami octopus size 1/0(on the OP), 1 & 2's.

7. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

What Matt said. LOL. But I do scale down to size 4's sometimes. Depends on the fly and what I'm going after.

Have used the owners. They hold up very well, and are super sharp. But pricey. I've mostly used them for driftfishing. But can attest they do hold up (but I was using 1/0 and 2/0's, so better chance for them to hold up).

8. andrew

andrew Active Member

"Gam" 0/1...went to Kodiak and fished a pink string leech with a red trailer/ stinger hook...after 30+ coho the red was gone but still sharp! :thumb:

9. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

OK well i just picked up a couple owners at the fly shop because i saw them but i am not going to spend that much on hooks next time. they are very pricey.

Now what is the best way to attach the trailer? How do you guys do it? snell? spiderwire, spectra?

Any pictures of it being done would be awsome.
    Thanks
    david

10. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

11. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

i have some 40lb spiderwire here would that work in place of your gel-spun?
    And it looks like the hook is just looped through with no knot holding it in place... correct?

12. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Correct. Spiderwire is the same as gel spun. I use Spectra. It's thinner than Dacron and allows more action. Off to work now. Later.