Transport ideas or wheel designs for my pram

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by yellowlab, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Okay, here are a couple of photos. First is a prototye that has my bike stem mounted to the motor mount. Fork cut down, quick release for the fork. The stem would stay in place. I opted to move away from this one because of the anchor area and too much going on right there, but it worked fine.

Second photo is of the back deck just behind my seat. The knob you see is the tightening mechanism that clamps my wheel mount in place. The not in use position has the wheel mount up along the underside of the back deck. Photo three shows this from beneath my pontoon looking forward and upward. Let me know if this does not make sense. It is made from a bicycle front wheel carrier for a roof rack. I had two. My previous toon was sold with one in place that worked well, thus far this one has not been tested anywhere but my garage and driveway, where it has held the weight of my fully loaded toon very well.

Attached Files:

2. herl

herl Member

alright, I had time to get a few quick pictures.. pardon the leaves and crap. I haven't worked on this over the winter.

The clamp, in place:
    wheel3.jpg

the wheel assembly:
    IMG_0052.JPG wheel2.jpg

3. Ed, I think that would be great for a pontoon set up, but Im trying to figure out something for my pram. Looking at your bike stem, there is no way two bolts would support a loaded pram and still don't like the idea of drilling into the boat. Im gonna need to come up with sumptin'...

Herl, man, that sounds way too complicated. I think I have to go back to my drawing board. Would love to see photos when you return. I already have this: http://www.springcreekprams.com/pramdolly.htm good for paved surfaces, but I want something lighter, compact and able to go longer distances over all sorts of terrain.

Ultimately, whatever works for you guys, thats kudos to you for coming up with it.

4. Interesting...have you field tested this yet? Im worried the small surface area of the clamp will slip when hitting a rock or obstacle. Let me know how the project comes out. WOuld love to know how it works.

5. SuperSecretCIA

SuperSecretCIA Be Like Mike!

Media:
    Paul check out this post that I did last year

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/board/showthread.php?t=38011

this cart will easily handle 100 lbs (I have not tested for maximum load capacity). The only concern that might occur with a pram, is that it might ride too high off the ground and affect your vision going down a trail (not a problem with my pontoon). :beer2:

6. RPL/LL

RPL/LL Member

Paul,
    Trust myself and Letemgo the wheel-a-way is going to be your all around best dolly for a pram,has nice size tires,sturdy,easy on-off,light,won't rust,compact.I know it sounds like alot of cash for something so simple but it was way cheaper than the spring creek one and a hell of alot nicer going into those hike in places due to the extra ground clearance.
    That Pram you got is to nice to put on something that could possibly fail on the way in/out or after a few trips...do yourself a favor and at least go see it,if they don't have one call me if you still got my # or pm me and you can check mine out...good luck,Jeff

Try this www.davisnet.com put in : wheel-a-weigh in search. model I got is 1465,but theres other options there also,just remember this tip you want your set-up to be on or just off center or else your in for one hell of a work out..

7. Super secret: man, that was alot of engineering and work, I take it you just leave it at the launch and pick it up at the end of the day? Im looking for something more compact and not so wide to get it into the trails. Thats why Im thinking the single wheel method, like a wheelbarrow. It may not be as sturdy as the Wheel-A-Weigh. But Im willing to give it a try. If I can find a used shock mountain bike fork, I've been thinking about incorporating something like this and using a bigger diameter wheel. I saw a product at Boater's world, made in Lynnwood actually and patented, it uses a big plastic Flintstone's type wheel with CNC milled aluminum. BUT it requires drilling, so that might be not as attractive. However the female end of the receiver would match my Koffler, so perhaps drilling would be ok as long as its well above the water line and then finding a second bracket to mount on my other boat.

8. herl

herl Member

There is no way the top arm of the clamp will slip, but I am also a little bit concerned about the bottom arm, on the bottom of the boat. It seems very solid but we'll have to see how it actually works. I suppose if it does become a problem a single ratcheting strap, pulled tight between the two clamps, under the boat would take care of that. But that is getting a little complicated.

It may be different for your boat too. Mine is polyethylene and has a little give, so I can really crank down on the clamp and the boat pushes back.

9. These are mine, what I have currently to use to transport. A 4" diameter wheeled dolly.

Attached Files:

10. johnnyrockfish

johnnyrockfish Member

Fishfinder, that is one slick set up with the folding wheel brackets. Good for you. I've got the same transport issue but haven't decided whether to buy a bunch of beater $50 boats and leave them on the various beaches I fish or invest in a personal hot air balloon to fly them where I want to go. At least with the balloon I know I've got enough hot air to keep it floating permanently.

JR

11. Mike (Doc) LaCombe

Mike (Doc) LaCombe Member

Thanks JR. Only had to use it once so far. Hope it hold up.

Mike

12. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Check out www.wheeleez.com for some really bitchin' fat low-pressure tires. These tires are great for going over loose sand and soft mud, etc. They don't bog down or leave deep ruts. You could make a dolly with these.

I bought the "kayak cart" with the 7" wide by 11.8" diameter urethane wheels. They are the best low-pressure (2 to 4 lbs) soft-sand wheels available that I have found anywhere.
    You can buy direct from their website.

13. Jim, I think you found the exact product that I was looking for! Thanks, I think I'll end up buying one from them versus trying to build one out. They have some really nice products on their website.

14. SuperSecretCIA

SuperSecretCIA Be Like Mike!

Media:
    Jim & Paul how are the "Wheel Eez" for puncture resistance? A Russian Olive tree in Eastern WA basin lakes could really put a "thorn" in your Day. Those babys can be 3" long! bawling:

15. bigfun4me

bigfun4me Team Infidel

You know I'll be happy to set you up on one of these when you are ready.

10" wheels and gunwale strap holes to eliminate the balancing act.

Attached Files:

16. Ed Call

Media:
    bigfun4me: I have ???'s
    1) how much does that cost?
    2) how wide is it from side to side?
    3) how long would an order take?
    4) how much does it weigh?
    Awesome looking option that I bet would go nicely for pontoons, prams and many other watercraft.

Thanks, Ed.

17. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    Jim, what do you lug/transport on your wheeleez? Pontoon or pram or . . . ?

18. bigfun4me

bigfun4me Team Infidel

Mumbles- I have not received mine yet but I have most of the information you asked for.

$200 - Custom quotes are available and it's less than the ticket you'll get at that E. WA lake for driving past the gate.
    Approximately 45" wide
    Joe@kofflerboats.com can have one to you in about a week.
    He's getting back to me on weight and a freight quote but I estimate about 12-15 pnds.

Pm me if you need more pictures.

19. Ed Call

Media:
    Thanks BigFun4Me. I'm gonna see how that width would do on my new fishcat panther. The boat is 64" wide when fully inflated, but I don't know the inside width. I'm thinking that could be light enough to strap on the bottom, wheel to the destination, remove and then strap onto the top wheels up to keep them dry and safe from cart predators.

20. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Puncture resistance on those low-pressure urethane tires is pretty good, as they bulge inward a ways when encountering a sharp object, and the urethane is tough. I keep mine on the low end of inflation, around 2 to 2.5 lbs. But I have only checked the air at home, in my garage. I figure they will heat up on the beach, expanding the air inside, and increasing the pressure.

Can't say what a 2" or 3" thorn would do to 'em, though. I try to avoid sharp objects, but I have only used my cart once, and it was awesome for the job. (I only use it if I have to transport my U-12 some distance from my truck to the water. Most places I just shoulder it for the short distance).

I haul my Ultimate 12 hybrid canoe on it with all my gear stowed near the center to balance it, so I can haul everything in one trip. My cart has a max load capacity of about 121 lbs, according to the raised lettering on the sides of the tires, and my U-12 hull weighs about 48 lbs. So with all the rest of my gear loaded inside, I'm still under the load limit.
    I just carry it back to my rig and lock it inside while I'm out on the water.

I had to add a customized cradle on top of my cart, so it would fit my U-12's tunnel hull snugly enough to remain firmly attached on a bumpy trail. Cinches down solidly now, with no wobbling on the trail.

Something like what bigfun4me showed would be better for transporting a wider hull over solid ground with thorns. I got my kayak cart to use in soft sand and squishy soft estuary mud. I have another "canoe cart" with bicycle style wheels that is useless on soft ground, but fine for hard dirt and paved surfaces.

I plan to use mine on the beach here, as well as on at least one fairly long, sometimes muddy trail to a soft sandy launch on the Elk River estuary, which is close by and is one of my favorite places to paddle.

I got it a little late in the season last year for using it at the places I have in mind for it.