transporting camera gear while fishing

Discussion in 'Photography / Video' started by Michael Thompson, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Michael Thompson the flavor of BADFISH

camano island wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    i fish solo 99%, and its not likely i will need to bust out the big cam for a fish i caught, but i do like to take scenery and wildlife shots, and was wondering if anyone would like to share their system for packing around their cameras, some extra camera equip-like lenses tripod ect- while fishing and taking nasty weather into consideration.
  2. Wibby New Member

Bellingham, WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    On a boat or packing around a stream a good option is to store your camera and lenses in a Pelican Case. These are waterproof and fairly easy to carry. Check the internet or army surplus stores...
  3. Josh dead in the water

NW Washington
    Ratings: +513 / 2
    Pelican cases are good for boats. But they are a royal pain if you are on foot.
  4. ibn Moderator

Federal Way
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    Pelican cases are great for boats, but like Josh said, they suck on foot. I usually haul my SLR around on it's own via the shoulder strap. If weather kicks in I have a plastic garbage bag I carry to cover it up with.

I've snuck my camera into fishing buddies simms dry bag hip packs during relentless rain storms and it's been ok. There are probably better solutions out there, but I like the simplistic approach when I'm fishing, I try and carry as little as I possibly can.
  5. Michael Thompson the flavor of BADFISH

camano island wa
    thanks Josh! that was exactly what i was looking for.
  6. jergensCsquad Joe's brother

ellensburg WA
    The waterproof Lowepro backpack like Josh is selling is sweet, but spendy. For less cash you can get a minitrekker AW. Its not water proof but has a little rain coat built in that you can put on it to protect from splashes and rain. I've carried lots of gear in mine in all kinds of dangerous situations (downhill skiing, wading deep water, in the rain) and all my gear has stayed perfectly safe. Plus it has a nice tripod carrying system on it.
  7. Josh dead in the water

NW Washington
    Ratings: +513 / 2
    The MiniTrekker and the PhotoTrekker are great backpacks. But I don't think I would trust my camera gear to them while wading. They are not waterproof, or even really water resistant, in that situation. In a downpour with the rain cover thing on? Sure, you should be in good shape. But anywhere that you think you might fall into the water requires something more waterproof.
  8. jergensCsquad Joe's brother

ellensburg WA
    iagree But if you can't afford to shell out the cash for a pack like the Dry Zone, the MiniTrekker and steady feet aren't a bad option. With that being said I've been using a MiniTrekker to carry my gear fishing from a boat and wet wading for 5 years now and haven't had any issues.
  9. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,227 / 0
    Problems with cameras and fishing occur not so much when it rains as when the camera gets dunked after you take an unexpected tumble or drop it. Garbage bags and backpacks with raincoats (I've got one!) are band-aid solutions for rain.

But once you find out how much it'll cost to replace or repair your camera after it's taken a swim, you'll decide to either pop for a for-real waterproof case (ie. one that keeps the contents dry even when immersed), buy a waterproof camera, or not bring a camera at all.

K
  10. Wibby New Member

Bellingham, WA
    true, although smaller sized Pelican cases do fit in backpacks.
  11. zimmjas New Member

Newport, RI
    Pelican cases are great, waterproof, virtually indestructible and will float. The only problem I have is that when my flash is attached (Nikon SB-600 attached to a D90) the Pelican case is too small, unless you get a rather large one that takes up a lot of space.

When on the boat, I keep my set-up in a Patagonia great divider waterproof bag. I stuff it with a sweatshirt to cushion the equipment. I also put a carabiner on the zipper to help open the bag up quicker. The bag is great for carry-on.
  12. windtickler Member

Ratings: +2 / 0
    For my medium format I have a Dry Zone, but you better dig through it and find the zipper lube. Unfortunately, I didn't find this until after my boat got stolen and my island got flooded in AK in the middle of the night....It's also incredibly poorly designed for carrying a tripod. Like really dumb. But I can put my Mamimya body, my light meter, my filters, a 100-200 zoom (about 12" long), extender, wide angle lens, macro, SLR/DSLR body and lenses in it (about 40lb of gear) and it fits perfectly in an overhead bin on airplanes. So it has it's pluses.
    For my SLR and DSLR and general travel I carry my camera and extra lens in an Ortlieb Aqua Zoom bag ($99)
    http://www.ortliebusa.com/cartgenie/prodList.asp?scat=8
    It comes with a chest strap (oh, yeah, that's what that goes to!) but I carry it over one shoulder out of the way while I'm fishing. This bag is the shit. I use it for skiing too. If I need more than two lenses, I just put it in a ziploc and toss it in the top of my back pack.
    Of course, if you get a little waterproof Olympus, it fits in your pocket and you can take pics of the fish under water, which is way cool, and costs about the same price as the Ortlieb bag.