Travel (packable) wading boot?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Josh, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Anyone use any of the lightweight wading boots? Any good?

I just picked up a pair of the Orvis packable waders at their sale price and thought it would be nice to find some light shoes to go with them.

2. Brookie_Hunter

Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

I had a couple pair of inexpensive Allen wading boots and both were relatively light. One pair was largely canvas and could pack up really small. Orvis used to make a packable wading boot like them but discontinued them 3-4 yrs ago. But I got about three years of hard use out of them (as I used them all the time) before they wore out. Down side is that they had little ankle protection/support....they weren't very good for real rocky streams if that what you fish most often.

3. Josh

Josh dead in the water

These would really only be for traveling or maybe family camping where I want to sneak in a little fishing. I've got my regular boots for normal use. So while I enjoy ankle support, I can do without for the amount that these boots would be used.

4. Steve Unwin

Steve Unwin Active Member

I have the cabela's packable wading boots. They're decent enough (they are my only boots) but like BH says they are a little low on ankle support. But they pack down small and are lightweight.

Josh likes this.
  5. Josh

Josh dead in the water

6. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

Take a look at some kayak or boating portage booties then, no support at all pretty much some fabric to cover you wader feet and a hard sole to walk on but they weigh nothing at all.

7. Josh

Josh dead in the water

But probably no felt, right? In general, I'm not a huge fan of rubber soles for wading.

8. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Take a pair of old converse chucks and use cobblers glue to paste on some old carpet.

9. Josh

Josh dead in the water

I've seen that as a suggestion. But does it actually work? Does the felt/carpet stay on there?

10. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Yep. If you use cobblers glue there's no way it's coming off. Perfectly good way to ruin a pair of chucks :) You can do it with any sneakers. I did it for a backpacking trip and it worked fine.

11. Steve Unwin

12. SHigSpeed

SHigSpeed Active Member

Can you comment on what the waders weigh? I'd love to have a datapoint for waders that would pair well with my UL float tube.

Thanks!

_SHig

13. Josh

Josh dead in the water

I don't have them here yet. But according to this page, they weigh 2lb 6oz in a size large, 1 lb 13 ounces medium.

14. SHigSpeed

SHigSpeed Active Member

Not bad, especially in medium for a chest wader. Thanks for the info.

_SHig

15. Steve Unwin

I weighed my cabela's packable waders last night and they came in a 2lb 2oz for a Size 12 (XL). These are the ones:
    Packable Waders

You could probably get them under 2 pounds with some trimming. There is a pocket to pack them into which is not strictly necessary and if they are only for tubing then gravel guards could go too.

If you want light but not breathable, old school red balls are pretty lightweight!

16. Josh

Josh dead in the water

So just for the sake of mentioning it, I'll point out that as best I can find, chuck taylor converse are running $30-40. At that price, I think the Cabelas packable boots I linked to earlier are better at $60. Plus, I'm guessing they go on sale once in a while in the $40-50 range knowing cabelas.

17. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Now, Wal Mart does have a $12 set of Chuck clones. But they are low tops.

18. Steve Unwin

My dad bought some felt for his old wading boots. I think it cost about $15, but that did include glue.

19. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

20. Josh

Josh dead in the water