Travel tripod?

Discussion in 'Photography / Video' started by Mark Walker, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Mark Walker Active Member

So. Cal.
    Ratings: +197 / 1
    Anyone care to suggest a decent mini travel tripod?
    Thanks.
  2. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,224 / 9
    Quantaray makes a nice telescopic leg tripod that compacts down to about 14" in length and when the three legs are folded in together it is about 3" in diameter. Comes with a quick release block that can attach to your camera and the spring lever loaded receptacle for that block. The telescoping legs are four peices, three flip lock levers. That allows this thing to extend out pretty long, close to three feet tall. Not sure how much it weighs, but it can't be more than a pound.
  3. Dustin Bise Active Member

Ratings: +6 / 0
    what kind of travel?

when it comes to tripods i subscribe to the philosophy that is this.....

if your shooting with a tripod you might as well shoot with a real tripod, most of the lightweight and smaller "travel" tripods dont have the stabilty needed when fully extended. a tripod should be stiff and solid, or else its not really worth using. any wind will basically negate the tripods effect, and on many of the light travel tripods just the movement of the mirror is enough to take the sharpness your looking for out of the photo at shutter speeds between 1/30th and and second. also, on most lightweight tripods you are gonna have issues when you get into long telephoto lenses (which usually require a tripod to shoot with properly.

the tripod I use is a manfrotto with two different heads and it is like 4 lbs total.

when i travel in the backcountry I take lessons from the great galen and do not carry a tripod. instead I will use a rock, tree branches, etc and a folded fleece shirt and set the camera on that and use a remote shutter release or timer to release the shutter.
  4. Dustin Bise Active Member

and i think this is a good place to post my favorite saying from cycling, which translates very well to tripods.

light, cheap, strong. pick two.
  5. Mark Walker Active Member

So. Cal.
    Air travel/ hiking. Doesn't necessarily have to be expandable.
  6. Dustin Bise Active Member

imo u really only have a couple choices.

a nice carbon fiber tripod, or learning to shoot without a tripod, or be willing to carry some weight.

carbon legs are not cheap though
  7. Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Mount Vernon, WA
    Ratings: +105 / 0
    Velbon, a lot lighter than carbon fiber and a lot cheaper if you want a real tripod, you can lay on the cold wet ground like Dustin says but it's a lot easier to compose your shot with a real backpack tripod. for being steady just hang your backpack on the lower hook. Just google velbon
  8. Dustin Bise Active Member

well i dont usally lay on the ground. my favoerite tactics include using the pack itself as a tripod (setting the camer on top and using a shutter timer), proping it up on a rock, or in the nook of two tree branches. but if i was taking a hike specifically for photography i would just carry the xtra 3 lbs :) and bring my tripod with a pano head.
  9. Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Mount Vernon, WA
    Ratings: +105 / 0
    1 lb. 9 oz for the velbon., another lb. of food LOL
  10. boboo_3 Cool Member

Dallas, TX
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    "the tripod I use is a manfrotto with two different heads and it is like 4 lbs total."

That's the Benz of tripods.
  11. yuhina Tropical member

Boston-Idaho
    Ratings: +41 / 0
    http://www.amazon.com/Gitzo-GT0531-Carbon-3-Section-Tripod/dp/B001C9IV5Y

Gitzo 0 is a good back up and travel tripod. I have a old version 0 combined with a ball head. Steady and can handle a lot of abuse in the field.
    Select a tripod is a tricky business. there is no best solution in my opinion. You always can hit the situation that has one inch short, one size smaller...
    Like other said, I think you need to think about what is the maximum weight you are willing to carry. Velbon make some nice carbon tripod too, about half price of the Gitzo. you won't regret to get one of those Japanese tripod.
  12. Mark Walker Active Member

So. Cal.
    Thanks to everyone for their input.
    Picked up a nice one.