Traveling kit

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by chadk, Jan 20, 2006.

1. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    If all you had was a shoebox sized box for your tying supplies\tools, what would be in it? For the sake of the discussion, let's say you are going to the OP to fish steelies in Feb - so you'll narrow down your materials to fit the trip...

2. Desmond Wiles

Desmond Wiles Sir Castaline

Media:
    That's a good question Chad, one that I would like the answer to as well. Being that I'm giving birth to an 8 wt in a few weeks, I plan on doing a little shopping for some steelhead ties!

3. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I'd have some tubes, tube adapter (unless you have a tube vise), travel vise, scissors, bobbin, threader. Hooks in varying sizes (some downturned and upturned salmon hooks). I'd have bunny strips in pink, purple, and black. Marabou in pink, white, black, purple, fuschia, and red. Some flashabou in silver (others are ok, I prefer silver). Those are essential for me. You can toss in some coneheads or lead eyes (if you want faster sink), some chenilles in black, pink, red, and orange. Some winging material in white and black. Then maybe some hen/saddle hackle in black, red, white, and pink. Not huge packs of each, but small shop packs. Should fit nicely.

Personally, I have a standard tyers bag STUFFED. LOL.

4. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    No glue or thread Jerry? ;)

What is a 'travel vise'? Just a smaller, more compact vise?

5. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Damned, did I forget that? Sheesh. I thought I put that with the bobbin. OOOPS. Normally a couple different color threads (black, pink, and a red usually). Actually, I don't worry about the glue. I will do a few whip finishes and leave it at that. Especially streamside, I just want them ready enough to fish (and have held up pretty good without head cement).

Yeah, travel vise is usually just a smaller version that's more compact.

6. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    I'm just getting back into tying again after a 15 year haitus. (and sucked back then, having no clue, just an inherited starter kit)

What is 'whip finish'. Got a link to an example? I know, I need to go buy a book and do my own research. Just thought I'd ask...

7. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    LOL. It's basically wrapping the thread over itself. Ever wrap an oar? It's very similar (or similar to wrapping off an eye on a rod). Basically it seals the thread onto the head. Not sure of a link. Anyone? LOL.

8. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
  9. Wayne Jordan

Wayne Jordan Active Member

Media:
    Along with all the tools I'd bring some spey marabou, bunny strips (crosscut & regular), trout beads for "egg sucking" patterns, jumbo guinea, krystal flash,lead wire, Gamakatsu B10S hooks in size 1/0-2/0 for the main part of my articulated flies,50 lb. spider wire for the connection, and VMC size 2 hooks for the stinger.

I'm sure there's more, but that'd get me started.