Treat old tired reel seat spacer

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Mike Ediger, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Mike Ediger

Mike Ediger Active Member

What would you all use to recondition an old wood spacer. It is faded, and just to touch you can tell that if feels literally rough or dried out.
    I don't want to stain it, just bring it back to life a bit. It is a buckeye burl spacer on a well used Scott rod.
    Thanks,
    Mike

2. Porter

Porter Active Member

Interested in the replies/answers too.

3. Mike Monsos

Mike Monsos AKA flyman219

[​IMG]A possible treatment might be a gentile wet sanding with some 400-600 wet or dry to smooth out the surface and then a few finger rubbed coats of Tru-Oil gunstock finish. You can buy small batches at gun shops or sporting goods stores for about $5. I use it on my Bird eye Maple seats and it holds up very nice. About 5-8 coats should give it a nice finish. You can buff it with steel 0000 wool after the third or fourth coat if needed.

Mike

4. Mike Ediger

Beautiful. Thanks Mike I will give it a shot and let you know how it goes. Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Mike Ediger

Well here is the update. I think it looks pretty good. I did exactly what Mike recommended by sanding with 600 grit first, then wiping clean, then five coats of Tru-Oil gunstock finish, sanding with 0000 steel wool after the third fourth and fifth coats. Very happy with results. Thanks for your help Mike.

[​IMG][​IMG]

6. Mike Monsos

Wow, looks real good Mike. I have to confess when I read your post I only had the "before" shot on the screen, I was thinking, man that didn't work very well in my opinion, what a ugly spacer. Then I scrolled down and the "after" image came up, I had to laugh at myself. I'm glad it all worked out for you and it looks good again.

Mike

Mike Ediger likes this.
  7. Mike Ediger

One other question Mike. It is a lot glossier before after it dries but before I use the steel wool (for obvious reasons), so do you rub it down after your last coat or do you end with the oil to keep the glossy look?

8. Mike Ediger

Yeah that is funny. In reality, it was bleached almost white before I started. I think it must have spent a lot of time in the sun. I could probably add a few more coats to keep improving it, but I don't think it will ever regain the fully character of a nice new piece of CA Buckeye Burl. It is a Scott rod though so I am sure it was nice at one time.

9. Mike Monsos

I like to add the last few coats without the rubbing with the 0000 steel wool. If the finish is still not glossy you might need to add more coats to build up the finish more. The nice thing about the Tru-Oil you can add as many coats as you care to, and also touch up a scratch or scuff.

As dry as you spacer was you may need more coats, it should have a nice solid sheen like glass when you are done. You might have to wet sand the spacer with 1500 wet or dry to level off the surface as you fill the imperfections with the T-O. If you have a warm spot to hang the rod section you can add a coat about every two hours. Heck suspend it above a lamp's shade with the light on for a heat source, it will be ready for recoating two hours no problem.

After you do get the gloss finish you can polish it with automotive scratch remover (if you have some dust in the finish) and then add a couple of coats of carnauba car wax (non cleaner type).

Mike

Mike Ediger likes this.
  10. Mike Ediger

Alright. Update to follow.
    Thanks Mike

11. Mike Ediger

I think I am done. Couple more coats and I think it is as good as it will get. Final before and after.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398024849.001171.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398024858.850738.jpg

Gary Knowels likes this.
  12. Mike Monsos

NICE!!!!!!!!!

Mike

Mike Ediger likes this.
  13. Matthew LeBret

Matthew LeBret Active Member

Mighty fine re-finish you did Mike
    Looks great!!

Mike Ediger likes this.
  14. Mike Ediger

Thanks for your help Mike. The shadows and light reflection make it look like the finish is uneven but it actually looks fantastic. The tru-oil worked great. So thanks for the suggestion.

Gary Knowels likes this.
  15. Porter

Porter Active Member

That turned out pretty sweet IMO. Nice work!

Mike Ediger likes this.
  16. Porter

Porter Active Member

What do you do for tarnished metal hardware?

17. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Did not see this thread when I posted about using Howards Wood Restoration product... a product that makes my reel seats look like new.