Treble or Dual hook for carp?

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by Kaiserman, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Kaiserman

Kaiserman content

Does anyone tie flies with either of these hooks for carp?

The TMC 707 DS is a dual hook, and I was wondering if either a treble or dual might help me with my hook sets.

Seems like I miss more than I should.

Anyway, just thought I'd ask...

2. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

I used to use a treble for carp with a herkin' big spinning rod. It was hard getting a good hookset what with the thick scales carp have.

Your issue may be the carp doesn't have the hook in it's mouth or you are setting the hook too quickly.

3. Kaiserman

Kaiserman content

Well I know it's in their mouth, because I see them take it. However, I know that sometimes it's hard to "break the habit" of setting too fast, as with trout. However, sometimes I miss and know that I didn't set it too fast.

That's why I asked, because maybe it's just a matter of, "You win some, you lose some.", as with any type of fishing. Just wanted to know if anyone has tried it before I waste time and money "experimenting", if you know what I mean.

4. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

You might send a PM to MrP as he may have some good input.

5. McNasty

McNasty Canyon Lurker

you aren't trout setting are you? this was my main problem when i started fishing for carp, strip setting helped this problem alot.

triploidjunkie likes this.
  6. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Try tying your patterns on Kahle bait hooks or heavy wire wide-gap hooks. I prefer size 8, particularly for headstand patterns (which are my favorites.). Strip the fly so slowly you almost aren't moving it, then strip set when you feel resistance and set again with the rod once the carp is hooked. The buggers DO have tough mouths.

triploidjunkie and Kaiserman like this.
  7. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Strip set, strip set, strip set....

rory likes this.
  8. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

Rubber lips require sharp hooks. It's as simple as that.

9. Alaskan

Alaskan New Member

I have been tying mine on cheap 4 or5 $/ 100 eagle claw hooks size 2 or 4 that I found at cabelas. I think they are bait hooks but with out barbs on the shank. I start a SLOW strip if I think the fish has it and if I feel any resistance I hammer him with a strip strike. I have hooked every fish that has taken so far ( less than 25 not sure exact number) it has worked even when the fish were balled up spawning and I had no idea if on had taken the fly!

10. JS

JS Active Member

Never felt like I needed to have more than one point, mostly for fear of foul hookings. Check out CarpPro's Gaper hooks. I love them.

11. JS

JS Active Member

That's just it, except with carp the "loose some" is going to be a more common scenario (insofar as eats/hookup ratio) than with trout or bass or other fish that use a much larger hinged jaw (in relation to body size) to inhale food and also keep said food from escaping back out of their mouth. Carp are grazers, at least for the most part, and could really care less if what they just put in their mouth stays there. This is especially true of fish in the Columbia.

12. Kaiserman

Kaiserman content

Interesting, I never thought of it that way.

I know they must have some stopping power, cause I'm sure those crawfish aren't too willing to "stay put", lol.

Thanks

JS likes this.