Trekking poles/wading staff?

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Tony the Trout, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Tony the Trout Member

Seattle,WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I'm wanting to pick something up that will work for both. Last year I hurt my foot rather badly (swollen, blackand blue, painful) just a few days before a long backpacking trip. I was not about to cancel my trip so I grabbed my ski poles and I was AMAZED at how much it helped. I hiked in 11.5 miles on the first day with a very bad "wheel". I would not have made it without them.

Now I'm looking to upgrade to something lighter and more compact that can function as both. Ideally something I can compact and strap to the outside of my day pack when I'm not using it. No, or removeable basket on the bottom (don't want the current catching it while wading).

As of now I'm thinking of getting 2 wading staffs. Will these hold up to the abuse of being used as trekking poles? Any advice out there on which/what to look for?

Thanks,
    Tony
  2. flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

I use a trekking pole as my wading staff and bought a pair at REI for $50 on one of their sales about 5 years ago. It's adjustable and I have it on a retractor on my wading belt. I bring it almost everywhere I fish, and usually kick my self when I do forget it. Can't remember the brand...
  3. porterHause Just call me Jon

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +170 / 0
    I'm a big time climber/backcountry addict and gear whore...I swear by THESE. If those look a bit pricey or not quite up to spec, there are other trekking pole/hiking staff options...but the carbon absorbs so much more shock than the aluminum that it's worth the extra dough. Make sure whatever you get has flick-locks for the pole segments, vice the twist locks of brands such as REI. The twist locks are prone to give at the worst possible moment at your mortal peril.
  4. Tony the Trout Member

Seattle,WA
    Thanks guys. PH those DO seem to meet the criteria on what I'm looking for, but ouch thats expensive. Thanks for the tip on the locks. Exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Might have to do some shopping around.

Thanks
    Tony
  5. slim Fish or Ski...Fish or ski....fish!

Spokane Washington
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    Check out Sierra Trading Post. They always have trekking poles on sale.
  6. Jensen pray for snow

U-District, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Check out Black Diamond's new line of trekking poles. They fold up like a expensive wading staffs, but are marketed as trekking poles and pretty cheap.

7. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Ratings: +118 / 0
    Now if you want something out of the ordinary, and get 'Where did you get that??!!!' questions on the river ... go here.

http://www.thestickman.co.uk/wading.htm

Actually they cost less than some of the 'high end name manufactured' stuff. What really adds to the party is the bottom section of these are drilled out and lead added so they 'float' tip down.
  8. guidesmith New Member

Boston, MA
    You can apparently find different kinds of trekking poles on different outdoor gear websites like REI, Serria Trading Post, Backcountry, Moosejaw and Altrec etc. Some of them have pretty good deals. But it might be a hassle to go through each one trying to look for the right poles for you while comparing the prices. In order to save your time and make the search easy plus save your money, you may want to check out this website-

http://www.trekkingpolesguide.com/products

It not only has the huge combination of trekking poles from the most popular outdoor gear websites mentioned above, but also has tons of reviews. Before you buy a pair of trekking poles, you should consider price, weight, material of shaft, locking mechanism and grip. Here comes the detailed descriptions of all the trekking poles features available on the market to consider before making a purchase-

http://www.trekkingpolesguide.com/guides/view/things-to-consider-before-buying
  9. johninlv New Member

Las Vegas, Marysville
    My wife and I used the MSR Overland three section carbon poles for over 10 years. They are adjustable and double as tent polls. We stressed them to the max and never had an issue. I don’t think we paid more then $80 a pair for them. They are made by Komperdell in Austria for MSR. Komperdell sells them as the Pure Carbon Trekking Pole. The season is coming to an end you should be able to pick up a good set of poles on a close out sale. I have seen a lot of bent aluminum poles on the trail. The adjustable length is convenient and doesn’t slip.
  10. BrazosSticks New Member

Waco, TX
    Personally I wood. It flexes, it floats, it's sturdy. And I don't know about you, but I need that balance walking through streams after those evasive little critters called fish. So get some good, solid, wood walking sticks. By the way, wood fits in the environment and is not a lightning rod like metal is. And I've been in many storms hiking to the high lakes up in the Cascades, Olympics and Rockies to get delicious mountain trout.
  11. Tony the Trout Member

Seattle,WA
    Thanks for all the advice everyone. Guidesmith, those links are very helpful.
  12. Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Puyallup, WA
    Ratings: +333 / 5