Tribal steelhead harvest data?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Will Atlas, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Will Atlas

Will Atlas Guest

Anyone know whether the tribes are required to report the number of fish they're catching in their gill nets? Also is that data available on the internet?

Thanks,
    Will

2. Coach Duff

Coach Duff Banned or Parked

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Sorry Will I couldn't help myself. Seriously though, Salmo and Curt would be the pros to answer this one. Salmo? Curt? Coach

3. Eric Tarcha

Eric Tarcha gear whore

is that where all the fish are? :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, except for a guy I know who is on a serious hot streak, has anyone been hitting fish on the S rivers? Haven't heard of much...

4. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Nope... I've only heard of a few caught by fly guys in general.... As for the roll eyes on that post, I'm not sure what to make of it, I'm assuming it was for fun. But it if wasn't, for what it's worth Will is getting ready to graduate with a degree in fisheries, so I'm sure the question was really more for the empircal data rather than bitching :)

5. Eric Tarcha

Eric Tarcha gear whore

Yeah just joking around. wondering where the fish are for real though.. (other than the ones on the end of Rianes line)...

6. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

Will -
    Yes the tribes report their catches. Both a commerically sold fish (to buyers or over bank sells) as well as take home fish are suppose to reported; usually throw the local tribe biolgocial staff.

The following site has some steelhead information (though dated - don't know why it has not been updated).

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/harvest/harvest.htm

As I recall some information is available on NWIFC (Northwest Indian Fish Commission) web site. If you have questions about catches on a specific rive system you should be able to track down more recent catches with a call to local WFDW or tribe staffs.

Tgiht lines
    Curt

7. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Another thing you can do is call the tribes that are fishing the streams you are interested in. They are usually quite forth coming with catch information.

8. gearhead

gearhead Active Member

Oh yeah, those are numbers that you can depend on, a while back a buddy of mine, caught 12 puyallup steelhead, during a winter season. the Tribe reported 11 fish during the same time period. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
    Remember the coastal troll fishery a couple years ago, they accidently caught 10 times their allotment. they reported their catch only after being caught by the State.

It seems the Fox, is the one counting the Chickens.

9. gt

gt Active Member

ah, yup, you got it figured out. carefull now, if you keep posting statements like that, you too will be declared 'without credability'.

of course, since the NA fisherpeople have contributed so heavily to the decemation of fishes, they are now focusing on crabs. did you wonder why the crab season opened early??? compromise with the NA comanagers who didn't want the sport season to get under way 2 weeks before they went into action. dungeness is plugged with NA pots and 2 reffer trucks are parked at the marina everyday now.

so much for the myth of the NA philosophy of looking forward for a better place for the grandkids. but then, maybe the liberal media will start investigating just what is actually happenning. i'll start holding my breath.......................................

10. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

You can take or leave the numbers the indians give you. I guess you are better off believing WDFW. It is all information however creditable or not it may be. Gather it and process it and make your own decisions. Whoops that might require actual independent thought. Sorry.

11. docstash

docstash Member

I have not seen any numbers that the Indians are giving. Show me where the numbers are on what the Indians are taking from the Klickitat. I can see from the link above what WDFW say we, the sport fisher, are taking. But when the Indians own the Klickitat hatchery and are planting two non-native species, I can find no information on what they are netting from the river by way of steelhead or salmon. Craig

12. Will Atlas

Will Atlas Guest

thanks curt, that info was excellent. I'm also wondering what they mean when they say, "run corrected" Are they using harvest as an indirect way of measuring run size?