Tribes want free Discover Passes

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Go Fish, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    DFL, I agree it should be 65. I agree with others that it should be fee to use, regardless of your status. I also think that the whole WDFW, BLM, NPS should get together to get one pass and stop dorking around with us all. As for your local pancake house, they get your business multiple times a year, the state gets it once. They have to STICK it to you when they can.

2. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    In Montana when you reach 62 you are a Senior Citizen. And you don't really buy a license. It's a Conservation License. It's good for a number of things. Since I only fish I don't care.

3. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

Media:
    All the issues brought up about the Discover
    Tax are valid.

It is an ill conceived and poorly
    executed piece of chit.

It was passed in a
    rush and shows that,
    with holes as big as
    the pancakes at the
    Waffle House.

People will pay if it makes
    dollars and sense. At this
    point it doesn't and I won't.

As for the tribes they will
    fight tooth and nail to get it
    for free.

They take their X%
    and give back less than that.

Dave

4. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

Media:
    amen brother amen. couldnt have said it better. Right now im in a situation where money is tight and I am now pretty much denied access to one of my favorite places to spend the summer. It sucks.

5. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    When I first moved here, the guy who drove me around to show me the ropes in my new job immediately moved into the left lane on I-5 and drove 60mph. After a couple of days watching folks pass on the right and flip me off, I finally asked him why he was ignoring the Slower Traffic Keep Right signs?

He replied that when he took drivers' ed in high school, they were taught that when you got on a freeway to go more than a mile or two you drove in the left lane because the right lane was for local traffic only. After 25 years in Washington and seeing some of the other bonehead things done here, it's hardly surprising anymore.

K

6. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks Kent. My post wasn't only about those who travel in the left lane.

7. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

Thats my excuse , and I'm stickin with it!!!!!

8. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:
    If you use it you need to pay for it. That said, does the money go into the general fund or is it dedicated to State parks? One more thought, an entitlement, once in place, is here to stay. If there is no provision in the historical treaties that require issuing free park passes then the NA need to pay.

9. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    I totally agree with this. I would be willing to pay a little more if one pass provides access to all public lands both state and federal. Let the state and the feds divide the funds based on what the percentage is.

While an argument can be made about paying for something we already own, there are costs associated with land management and I believe these fees are supposed to be funding that. There should be no exceptions except maybe to the physcially challenged.

10. lastcall

lastcall Member

The state is not allowed to use deficit spending. The budgit has to be balanced. The state budgit is for two years (if I remember correctly). That is why the state needs to make mid term adjustements based on the revenue projections. For the last 10 years or so there has been a tax revolt, and the people of the state have voted to approve the initiatives put forward by Mr. Tim Eyman and others. That has required that state lawmakers to make adjustments. Most of Mr. Eyman's initiatives have been written to force the state to have the people that use a resource to pay to use the resource. So now we who are using the parks, forests, lakes, rivers and streams need to pay for it.

http://www.issaquahpress.com/2011/08/25/discover-pass-sales-generate-almost-3-million/

"Revenue from pass sales is to be divided among the state land-management agencies: 84 percent to state parks, 8 percent to the Department of Fish and Wildlife, and 8 percent to the Department of Natural Resources."

Several tribes charge Washington residents to use their resources. The Colville tribe for instance. I have no problem with that. The way it is now, if anyone is going to use a natural resource in the state they will be required to use it regardless of where they are from; WA, ID, OR, BC or the UK.

Ed

11. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Media:
    Bullshit, we spent 2.3 billion on interest alone so far this year. The budget has been balanced on credit.

As an example, what the state did is no different than....

Christine got a free lamborgini once. She bought it 100% on credit. She didn't make the payments for 90 days and during that time she told everyone around her she has her personal budget balanced. After 90 days the bank was ready to collect, she told told everyone around her to give her more money so she would have enough to cover her expenses.

Stop buying the bullshit and do your own research. You know Addition and subtraction, the sheit they taught you in kindergarden.
    http://www.usgovernmentspending.com...=b&fy=fy12&local=s&state=WA&pie=state#usgs302

12. atomic dog

atomic dog Jive Turkey

Media:
    Previously State Parks was partially funded out of the General Fund. With the recent budget cuts they no longer take money from there. Discover Pass is their attempt to make up for the loss of that money.

I don't think this has to be a bad thing, it's just too bad they had to make everything so damn complicated. Creating all these rules to follow that nobody can seem to understand is a quick way to piss off everybody.

13. dflett68

dflett68 Active Member

Media:
    thick irony in this, to me. "not tribal land, they are public land" - how about stolen land? it's hard to think of a demographic that should more naturally sympathize with a culture which placed such a high value on the "land and resources [being] properly respected, by all", as Native American culture obviously did, only to have it's land an resources taken from it under no higher authority that brute force. this nation can never repay what our government stole from it's natives, ever. but we're going to make them pay to park on public land that only became public after it was stolen from their ancestors in brutal, bloody fashion?

14. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

Aint life a bitch, that means I have the right to go back to Denmark and demand the land back that the germans in ww1 stoled from my family in a brutal bloody fashion ???

15. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Media:
    Our government? :rofl: Funny, I don't think there is a member of our government still alive that "Purchased" or "Stole" Tribal land. Or a living member of the tribe that lost it for that matter. Members of our government are douchebags, but not because of that.

16. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Were the treaties ceding the lands signed at gunpoint? I thought they were negotiated deals. Apparently they were negotiated deals with never ending escalations of additional benefits. Not sure how deals like that get done. Not sure that our current government is capable of such negotiations.

17. dflett68

dflett68 Active Member

Media:
    "Were the treaties ceding the lands signed at gunpoint?" Pretty much. Are you seriously going to argue that europeans just showed up and proposed some terms to divide up the land and resources and the natives were amenable and signed on the dotted line?

18. DennisE

DennisE Topwater and tying.

Haven't seen any posts about the "voluntary" $5 donation for Washington State Parks on vehicle renewals. I've been gladly paying it till now. I'm staying away from Discover Pass locations until my license expires. Then I'll get a $5 "discount" on the Discover Pass since I'll no longer be making that "donation". It's a small thing, but it's MY thing!

19. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    With regard to tribes and "treaties", it pretty much boils down to a simple fact. They lost the fucking war. No question the invaders were better organized, better armed, and better prepared. Sorry about that, but I didn't fight in that one, and don't accept this PC bullshit regarding "original sin" connected to said war. If they want to be separate nations, fine: it's non-resident licenses, non-resident tuition for colleges, etc. etc.. If they want to join the rest of us, that's cool too, but don't expect different treatment.

As far as being "treated badly" by the side that won, consider this: when Agamemnon lead the Greeks against Troy, once they finally won, they slaughtered all the city's inhabitants, tore down the walls, and spread salt over the ground so nothing would even grow. A treaty coming out of a war isn't all that bad, considering alternatives. Speaking from an historical perspective, there are two things which are capable of destroying a culture; either that culture is eliminated (as in "they're all dead"), or it's absorbed by another culture, as-eventually-were the Norse.

20. dflett68

dflett68 Active Member

Media:
    a downright comical perspective coming from someone who presumably believes in the principles upon which this nation was ostensibly founded. but maybe you don't.