Tricos? Here?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Paul Huffman, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Media:
    Home Page:
    I noticed some little mayflies circling above a little tributary to the Naches this morning and netted some in my
    hat. Tricos! I thought they were found mainly over in Idaho and Montana.

I thought it was interesting that the Trico nuptial flights were up and down a short sunny section of stream,
    while the BWO spinners were zooming up and gliding down. There was a some flight of Tricos that were
    confusing a little paved lane for a stream and were doing the combat air patrol up and down the lane.

2. ray helaers

ray helaers New Member

Rocky Ford Creek has a pretty decent trico hatch, a little later than it usually goes off in most places, round about September. In most places (including the Naches I guess), tricos area summer hatch, peaking in late July to mid August. Maybe they start earlier on RFC and I just haven't noticed them, but I've had good fishing to them there in September and even into Oct if memory serves. The other interesting thing is that in RFC they were a little bigger than the flies I've seen in Idaho, an 18-20 rather than a 20-22. Maybe a different species altogether?

3. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Media:
    just remember, throw 'em back

the naches is beautiful river, i caught a 15lb steelie (c+r of course) last summer on a 4lb tippet and a 5wt rod. my first and only steelie....special memories.....

4. Paul Huffman

Media:
    Home Page:
    I caught another one in my hat this morning and it measured 5 mm. What hook size is that? How does it compare to the Idaho race?

5. ray helaers

ray helaers New Member

that's good and small is what it is. I'd say that's about a 20, which is about equal to the flies I've seen on Silver Creek, and about one size smaller thatn the tricos I've encountered at RFC.

6. 5 weight

5 weight Guest

I got a chance to fish one of those Trico hatches last summer on Rocky Ford. To hit it right, you should be on the creek EARLY. The bugs seemed to start coming off as soon as the sun came up, and quit about 9:30 or so. Size 18 and smaller black parachutes or griffith gnats worked, as well as small black spotlight emergers. Pretty exciting to go 20/20 for a couple of hours before the masses crowd the creek. Only thing that kind of sucks is the weed growth this time of year - cleaning your fly and line is a constant chore.

5 weight

7. Paul Huffman

Media:
    Home Page:
    The hatch on this little creek is really cranking now. Each morning until about 10 am. Except that yesterday a county crew came by an sprayed the creek with Rodeo to, well, beats me why they need to control the plant growth in this little stream on the section that flows through a dump.