Trip Report

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by David Dalan, Jan 13, 2014.

1. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Media:
    So as I mumbled on another thread, I managed to get out Saturday for a little me time. Friday night I was scouring the various online resources for water levels, temperatures and fish movement. One of my regular haunts looked good and I could almost hear Hannibal say "I love it when a plan comes together" in my head.

I woke up at the crack of "early enough." 61 degrees, water was falling and H20 temps in the 40's. Wind howling and some on and off rain. Still smelled like magic to me, so I decided to roll out of the sack, make some joe and gear up.

Pulled into the parking zone, no sign of life. Good. Humped down to "the hole" and started fishing. The hole is below a high point in the river, so you get quite a birds eye view on the money water. 15 minutes into it the bobber vanished and I came back on it. I watch a 24"-25" Steelie wriggle and thrash. I count to 10 and give the hook a little pepper (to actually set the hook)...and "pop" the hook comes free and the steel is gone. Well shit.

I was using one of those small hooks normally used for glow bugs. Well F that, I swap on an owner octopus (why I was not using it before is beyond me) and get back to business.

No more takers in this run, so I relocate.

Next parking, still no signs of life, now the sun is beginning to come out. Temperature is falling.

I start at the the most frequented water and work my way upstream. The channel in this place has changed a lot in the last 5 years, with previous flat featureless water carving out regular holding water. Good looking stuff.

2014-01-11 10.52.11.jpg

Eventually I reach a hole one old fried told me was his favorite spot. I see someone watching me. Beaver? Otter? Who knows, it's too fast and they are both around here. I begin daydreaming and flipping my gear. Bobber goes "poof" and this time my dance partner is firmly attached. Nice little girl. She is a small Steelhead or a resident who has moved down here for the Winter. Either way, I'm tickled.

2014-01-11 11.32.21.jpg

formerguide, aplTyler, JesseC and 6 others like this.
  2. Nice work Dave!

3. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Media:

Thanks man, if you come back out we can fire off the tandem bead attack. I think things are turning up and should get better to the close. If temps go up enough I may even bust out the tips and swing again.

Evan Virnoche likes this.
  4. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Very nice, David. Thanks for the report, story, and pics.

I wish things could have been in that kind of shape over here on the west side this weekend! Ugh, I need to fish.

Jason

David Dalan likes this.
  5. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

I'm hoping to squeeze in a couple hours swinging on Wednesday morning if the river is agreeable.

I'm hoping even more that I'll have something sweet to report.

At the very least, maybe I'll try to post some pics of a sunrise.

J

David Dalan likes this.
  6. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

If a fourth-rate poem or short story is entitled to copyright protecting, then a phrase like "the crack of early enough" surely is, too. All hail David Dalan!

underachiever and David Dalan like this.
  7. underachiever

underachiever !

Media:

I had a hearty laugh at that expression as well.

David Dalan likes this.