Trip suggestion for backpacking and fishing

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Brian Lind, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Brian Lind New Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone had any trip suggestions for a nice backpacking overnight to a fishable lake. Looking to head to the woods with my girlfriend and dog this weekend and would love to be able combine that with some fishing. Looking for a destination that is 4 - 6 miles of hike, low pressure, and not on the opposite side of the state (I'm in Seattle).

Anyone have any thoughts?
  2. Craig Hardt aka Nagasaurus

Lynnwood, WA
    Ratings: +60 / 0
    Welcome Brian.

Anywhere near Seattle with only a 4-6 mile hike will not equal low pressure on the weekends. Will you be able to escape during the week,what distance are you willing to drive, and will you be bringing any sort of inflatable watercraft? Those answers will influence further suggestions.
  3. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +968 / 1
    Talapus and Olallie trailhead would take you to a number of lakes. I'd recommend others but one involves the Kendall catwalk and that might not be the place for a dog. Talapus and Olallie lakes are somewhere around mile marker 40 or so off of I-90. It's been close to 20 years since I've been there that I forget which exit the trailhead is off of.
  4. Brian Lind New Member

Seattle, WA
    Thx Craig. Unfortunately getting away at all is hard these days, our goal was to head out Saturday/Sunday. I'm willing to drive a couple hours and probably hike a few more miles as well. I won't have an inflatable I'll just be fishing the shoreline.
  5. Craig Hardt aka Nagasaurus

Lynnwood, WA
    Ok, if you are willing to go a couple of hours then you have a ton of available lakes. As Bill said there are many available in the I-90 corridor. I'll throw out Annette lake as another option but I've never camped there so can't vouch for that experience but there definitely are fish in that lake. Be prepared for a lot of other hikers for anything along I-90 so I recommend you get to the trailhead very, very early.

A lake near the edge of your driving range is Dewey Lake (http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/dewey-lakes) by Chinook Pass. The Naches Peak Loop trail has amazing viewing of Mt. Rainier and there are a bizzillion brook trout in Dewey Lake. They are a bit stunted due to overpopulation so eat a few if you care to. The lake bottom at Dewey was pretty stable as I recall so you should be able to wade out a bit from shore. And it is a large lake so plenty of shore access. If I were you I'd also pack a lightweight spinning rod (or check if your fly rod reel seat can fit a micro spinning reel) so you can throw flies longer distances with a float bubble.
    IdahoTrout likes this.
  6. Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Puyallup, WA
    Ratings: +341 / 5
    Summit Lake in the Clearwater Wilderness just north of Mount Rainier National Park. Drive to the Carbon River Ranger Station at the Park Boundary and, just before you reach that station, turn left onto FS Road 7810, cross the Carbon River and continue up to the trailhead. Beautiful Lake just under 3 miles in, with plenty of day hiking options from the lake. Great brook trout fishing in the lake (take some small, #18, Royal Wulffs and some #16-#20 parachute Adams patterns. http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/summit-lake
    IdahoTrout likes this.
  7. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +968 / 1
    Might be car camping at Mowich Lake on the NW corner of Mt Rainier. Some other lakes nearby.
  8. Richard Olmstead BigDog

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +786 / 0
    Look up Diamond L out of Salmon la Sac. Ca. 4-5mi hike. some nice westslopes. Easy to fish from shore or by wading the shallows. Not likely to be crowded.
    d
  9. Brian Lind New Member

Seattle, WA
    Craig, Dewey Lake looks like a good option. If it ends up being crowded are there any fish further up the trail in American Lake? That looks like maybe a better place to get away from the crowds. I don't have a spin rod or micro reel, I haven't done much lake fishing, I take it this is where I'm going to want a sinking line on my reel aren't I?

B

10. Craig Hardt aka Nagasaurus

Lynnwood, WA
    Haven't been over that way so not sure on the fishing prospects.

A floating line will work fine.
  11. tyeoneon Member

Wenatchee, Washington
    Ratings: +42 / 0
    It's not really on the we(s)t side of the Cascades, but Heather Lake off of the Little Wenatchee drainage is one of my favorites. 3.5 mile hike, 1000 ft elevation and great campsites with a beautiful rustic one holer. The fish are spectacular, rainbows, cutthroat and cutbows. The water is warm enough to swim in and fishing from the bank is easy!