Trip with Scott From the Confluence Flyshop

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by David Dalan, Jul 5, 2013.

1. So I spent July 3rd on the water with Scott. Had a hell of a time, so I thought I'd share. Full disclosure, I did go to school with Scott so this was not our first meeting. But it's been 20 years since we have been face to face. Too long. I think the first time we met, I beat him up. That being said...

This was the first time I have used a guide. I have to admit I found it odd the person I was fishing with made me lunch :) Scott had all the needed gear and it was quality stuff. He also humored my desire to use my own stick. Johnny on the spot with gear suggestions for each location and flies. He also had some VERY useful ideas for speeding up my cast with my somewhat odd setup. His cast suggestions made it both easier to cast consistently (and easier in general), and got me back into the zone faster. Friendly, knowledgeable and a solid sense of competence.

Any way we spent the day floating the river, and plying water in the holes that are known to produce. Catching was slim, but I've fished for steelhead for a long time, and have 100% confidence that Scott had me in the right places. I had one solid double-tap hit and I did land a small trout.

Would not only do it again, would recommend to anyone up in the Bellingham area to Scott and his partner at the Confluence Flyshop out for guiding.

Richard Torres and constructeur like this.
  2. This is the Confluence Fly Shop in Bellingham, or the Confluence Fly Shop that just opened up in Bend, OR? Anyone know if they are run by the same people, or is it just coincidence that two new shops just opened with the same name?

3. I noticed the name thing too. The one I refer to is in Bellingham.

4. Thanks for the kind words David. I enjoyed having you on the water as well. As for beating me up in the 8th grade...I probably had it coming and I can safely say that age has mellowed us both.

Looking forward to seeing you again sooner rather than later. 20 years is far too long.

Cheers!

5. Different shops with no affiliation. We've actually had the Confluence Fly Shop website up for over a year, though just moved to a higher traffic location in near Bellingham on April 1st. We were also little surprised to see another shop open in May under the same name in a neighboring state. :)

Derek Young likes this.