Triploids at Beaver

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by SmokinAces, Nov 15, 2007.

1. SmokinAces

SmokinAces Keepin' It Reel

Is anyone else as excited as i am for the 3000 trips being put into Beaver Lake this week? Should be a doozy on a 4 wt.

2. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

That isn't fishing! Its cheating!

Those trips are blubber balls with fins!

Have fun :)

3. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Media:
    I'm more excited about the ones that were stocked all over the place last spring that have had all summer to get some real water muscle on them. Fresh out of the hatchery mushy fish aren't all that fun out of the box. It's sorta like arm wrestling someone who just got silicone bicept implants. :beer2:

4. SmokinAces

for those of us who can't make the trip to rufus woods, or afford the gas, i think these lunkers at beaver will do just fine. the only problem is that im sure it will be littered with powerbaiters and plunkers :mad:

5. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Media:
    You can bet the bank that it will be man :( 3,000 trips is a lot of fish though and they'll generally turn off of powerbait and the like before they'll turn off to flies.

6. bankwalker

bankwalker Member

i thought they were big brood stock fish being planted? at least thats what the email i got said...i may be wrong though.

7. sharpshooter223

sharpshooter223 Member

its not like there is anything wrong with bait. just another method of catching fish. yea yea they may swallow the hook, they are hatchery fish though, not wilds.

8. SmokinAces

I actually agree with you here. The wdfw puts those fish in there bc people buy licenses to catch and keep these hatchery fish. I always just wonder what would happen if people just practiced catch and release on these bad boys. They are already 3 to 5 pounds and a couple of years of not being caught could produce some trophy fish pushing 10 lbs. Just a thought, i could be wrong. Theres no way this could happen in an urban enviornment and i understand that. I might have to give this lake a try a couple weeks after it gets stocked and the fish start turning to flies.

tight lines all

9. mozart

mozart Chris

They have trips in Squalicum. I usually C&R them though. Do they plant Trips in lakes to kill the stunted fish as they do the Tigers and Browns? Or is it simply to increase the amount of fishers on a lake?

10. David Holmes

David Holmes Formerly known as "capmblade"

Media:
    Home Page:
    I wonder if there's enough food in that lake to support 5 TONS of resident rainbows. I kinda doubt it.

Although every year someone says that an 8 or 10lb fish was caught, but I've never seen it.

11. SmokinAces

Yeah, there is no way that beaver lake has enough food to support that many large trout. I just find it kinda ridiculous when people go there and pull out 25 lbs of trout. I understand keeping a couple for the smoker or to eat, but to load the freezer up, that just kinda nuts in my opinion. But hell, people are gonna do what they're gonna do.

12. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    Doesn't matter. We both know that the vast majority of the planters in Beaver will be leaving in a bucket within a day or two after they've arrived. That's why they call it 'put & take'.

K

13. Gorgefly

Gorgefly Member

Media:
    I never understood why people would want to eat those anyway.....they taste like crap....ok...they taste bad. (don't actually know what crap tastes like)

14. Tyler Speir

Tyler Speir Artist

Media:
    Home Page:
    do we know what day its being planted?

15. You don't know what you're missing folks... I just smoked up the 4 trout that were caught on Friday and let me say its some of the finest meat I've tasted. Way better than Pink, and paralleled or better than the Coho from Washington and Alaska. I don't know what they put in the additives but there is alot of oil in the flesh and the bellys are the best part. I usually won't eat a hatchery fish as I've found the meat to be pretty grey, tasteless and or fishy, but these brood stockers must've been given the grand treatment while in their pens. Good luck out there...

16. zeelander

zeelander New Member

Home Page:
    Went for my first trip there last weekend and there were a ton of powerbaiters out there. Two tubers fly fishing who had some decent luck. I fished it in my yak had a few on and landed one decent sized one. Not exactly the most beautiful or quiet place to fish but if you're jonesing it's not so bad.

Z

17. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    And you would know how . . . ?

18. Chromer

Chromer Defeat terrorism

Media:

A uniformed representative at Issaquah hatchery told me these are not brood stockers. Rather they are simply two year old rainbows, that have been fed well.