Trolling action - what do you do?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Sourdoughs, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Chad Lewis NEVER wonder what to do with your free time

Mount Vernon, WA
    Ratings: +152 / 0
    [QUOTThen drive by the X lake on Saturday AM and have a good laugh at all the tooners freezing there ass's off w/no fish to show for it. E][/QUOTE]

Gary, you're a bad, bad man :thumb:

I think you should do what you like. Kind of a cop-out, huh? There's nothing wrong with making your own rules, and as long as you're not blackballed by your own friends, who cares? I've got nothing against a guy who can't cast past his nose but who wants to fish a lake/river with a fly rod. Anyway, if you like to troll a fly then go for it. I personally like to cast, so I tend to do that. I'd lay odds that a lot of guys trolling can cast pretty well when they want too, especially if they're catching fish.

I've been in one situation on Lone Lake when there were several guys trolling, and I was pretty much fishing circles around them with a cast and retrieve. Had to be the action of the fly, as stated before, and fly choice probably had something to do with it. Having said that, if they would have been catching all the fish I probably would have started doing what they were doing, pumped them for info on fly choice, etc. etc. 'Cause sometimes you just gotta do what catches the fish!
  2. Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Mill Creek, WA
    Ratings: +270 / 0
    Yup.
    and yup.

I can understand the logic behind, "it looks too easy so it just ain't fly fishin'," however... 1) C'mon, does it really take that much skill to cast?? (Nope), and 2) If you think it's just about chuckin' a big-harry down on a sinking line, you're sadly mistaken. Guys who are sucking wind on the troll likely aren't familiar with the other 95% of it. Has nothing to do with "trolling blows - casting works better." I'd say some parts of it are more difficult if you know what you're doing (placing it where it needs to be at depth, presenting a certain way at depth, all the subtleties sensed by "feel," not sight, etc.). Also, if everything you hook came as a 'ka-boom' out of nowhere, you've missed the other 80% of your strikes. And so on, and so on.

Anyhow, someone experienced will have skill in trolling, cast-n-strip, still presentation, all the moving water stuff, blah, blah, blah, but moreover can decipher which is best at different times. Each is just another tool in the box, and is really just the endgame once the more important things are sorted out...timing, predicting behavior, trends in weather & temps, feeding habits, location, location, location...far more related to your success yet so overlooked it's laughable. All I know is those guys who make it look easy banging 'em left and right usually have this stuff figured out. Easy to assume it's the fly selected and 'masterful' cast to go along with it, or just luck. 9 out of 10 times though, it's all that unseen and unsaid stuff.

Enough of that crap. Now for some useful stuff. Ford Fenders' Guide to a Successful Troll (Copyright pending): 1. Look away, light a smoke or whatever...guaranteed strike (they can see you); 2. "Here fishy fishy...here fishy fishy..." (they can hear you); 3. Don't watch too closely but keep a hand on that rod (they like free stuff); 4. Wanna have your sorry ass outfished? Bring your wife; 5. Pee on it before you cast it.
  3. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +719 / 2
    What I really enjoy about people who post absolutes is that they really only show their own ignorance. It's the same when someone asks which rod is the best/which guide/chevy or ford.

Anyone who limits their techniques is really only limiting their catch and also limiting the experience they can gain. But that's their choice.

Troll, mooch or cast and retrieve. That really is flyfishing!:thumb:
  4. tjf Member

Toke, AK
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    For trout
    Soon after stocking and through most of the summer, I have excellent success with my trolling motor set at its lowest speed, using a full sinking line with my favorite streamer - sometimes an occassional "twitch" to the line.

Fall, same thing only I turn off the motor, "twitch" the line until I get about three feet off line in the bottom of the boat and then turn the motor on until the line barely pulls tight, then drift again, repeating.

Winter, same as fall, only slower. Also, anchor, cast, wait until line is nearly straight down then hand twist or "twitch".

During the active times of the year, I vary the above by slow or fast strips until I figure out what the fish prefer.

For other types of fish - depends what you are hunting for.
  5. Andrew Lawrence Active Member

Renton, WA.
    Ratings: +100 / 0
    But there is another method I like which does not involve an anchor and does not involve trolling. I like to either use a very slow trolling motor, or fins, and cruise the shoreline casting to structure or rises. I'll do this with dries if they are keyed in on the surface, or with streamers\buggers all other times. Works great for hunting browns, bass, crappie, brookies, and other species that like to hide in structure and ambush their prey.

Great Method! And one that I utilize quite often with great success! I use this technique mostly for searching out were the fish are on a particular day. Sometimes, I enjoy just sitting back and casting to the shoreline, while steadily making my way up and down the shallows.
  6. Richard Olmstead BigDog

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +786 / 0
    I realize that there are many on this board who fish gear and even bait, as well as flies. Perhaps for them, not imposing constraints that 'limit their catch' is what its all about. However, for those of us who fly fish only, we've already abandoned that as a motivation for our endeavor. So, limiting any other aspect of the sport (type of equipment or technique) is entirely consistent with being a fly fisherman anyway. That said, we're all still trying to catch fish.

Dick, the moving water fly-fisher, who got a float tube and fins for Christmas and is looking forward to learning to fish the stillwaters with whatever technique will work!
  7. Tony Tony

Lynnwood Wa
    Ratings: +59 / 0
    I find it completely hilarious how opinionated people get when it comes to fishing, trolling is just one tool out of many to use when it comes to lake fishing. At times its very effective and will outfish most other methods, I know a guy who trolls and strips varying his retrieves who can hand your ass to you most of the time. I prefer to cast and strip but if that isn't working I'll try something else, one thing for sure on a new lake trolling is a great way to locate where the fish are, I find that you can learn a lake fairly rapidly this way. As far as trolling methods go I think trolling and stripping is probably the most effective way to go varying your depth with different sinking lines and changing up on your retrieves until you find the right combination that gets you into fish.
    tony
  8. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +540 / 0
    iagree On one of the lakes I have explored by trolling, now i can troll from the ramp to some spots I found (by trolling with my sonar on), anchor up, and cast and strip with a certain amount of confidence that I am fishing in a productive spot.