Trout Candy

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Entomology' started by triploidjunkie, Apr 6, 2012.

1. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    Was working near Omak creek and this little guy fluttered over. Salmonfly?

Attached Files:

2. Matt Baerwalde

Matt Baerwalde ...

Media:
    Looks like it to me.

3. McNasty

McNasty Canyon Lurker

Media:
    maby, pics kinda small. little early for full grown salmon flies isnt it?

4. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Wrong color. The Salmon Flies here in Montana are a very different color.

I saw a bug that looked similar to that, but all that was left of it was it's shell casing. Two of them were stuck to the underside of a bridge on the Foss river. They were better than 2" long They were above the high water mark. First time I ever saw a bug that big in Western Washington.

5. Taxon

Taxon Moderator Staff Member

Hi triploidjunkie-

Was it approximately 3/4 of an inch in length, as measured from the front of its head to the end of its wings?

6. triploidjunkie

Media:
    Sorry about the lousy pic quality. If you're able to zoom in you can faintly see that there is quite a bit of orange in several spots on it's underside. That and it was probably around 1 3/4 of an inch long, maybe slightly longer, made me think salmonfly over stonefly.

7. Taxon

Here is version of your photo which has been manipulated for easier viewing:

[​IMG]

Actually, the resolution and focus are pretty reasonable. However, stonefly (unlike mayfly and caddisfly) adults are somewhat easier (at least for me) to recognize from a dorsal (overhead) view. I have consulted with (professional entomologist) Robert Newell regarding this stonefly, and he suspects it to be of genus Skwala.

8. triploidjunkie

Media:
    Thanks taxon. Big damn bug. I didn't realize skwalas got that large. This early and cold I should've known better. Don't most salmonflies hatch in much,much warmer weather?

9. McNasty

McNasty Canyon Lurker

Media:
    has to be one of the biggest skwalas ive seen, and ive seen like 100 in the past week alone. none near that dark colored to, but for all i know that can change dependin on region seein as all mine were on the yak. don't wana go against the pro but. . . something just doesn't sit right callin it a skwala

10. Taxon

triploidjunkie-

In all fairness, I wasn't able to relay its size at the time I exchanged emails with Bob. So, if your estimated length of at least 1 3/4 inches (~44 mm) is not grossly exaggerated (which is really easy to do), your stonefly would pretty much have to be a Salmonfly, as no other WA stonefly adults would exceed ~33 mm, and a Skwala would not exceed ~18 mm.

With average temperatures, a few Salmonflies might be expected show up by the middle of April, but the vast majority would not emerge until May and June, and then trail off during the 1st half of July.

Incidentally, before my email exchange with Bob, I had been thinking it might be (Dwarf Salmonfly) Pteronarcella regularis, but its length would been no longer than 25 mm, which is a far cry from 44 mm.

11. Taxon

Hi McNasty-

Yeah, I hear you, and quite frankly, feel a bit the same way.

12. triploidjunkie

Media:
    I know it was over an inch and a half(the width of a 2x4). Too bad none of the streams are open yet around here. A giant stone nymph, or just a classic bitch creek, would probably wreak some havoc.

13. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

That's a salmon fly. But an early bird for sure.

There is at least one place where a major hatch of salmon flies occurs the first week of May, but I'm not telling where.

14. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Hey Taxon, quit using mm's. Most people here in the U. S. use the American way to measure things. A mm doesn't mean anything to me. LOL

15. Taxon

Yeah, I hear you OMJ. However, both the scientific community, and flyfishing entomology authors use millimeters to describe the length of aquatic insect bodies, which (in my opinion) is a whole lot handier than having to deal with fractions of an inch.

Mustad 94840/94845 (straight part of hook shank, on which the body of an imitation is tied) lengths measure approximately as follows:

#10 = 12 mm
    #12 = 10 mm
    #14 = 8 mm
    #16 = 7 mm
    #18 = 6 mm

Hope this helps.

16. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Well thanks for the info. I'll probably forget it as soon as I log off of here. I figure as long as they are in America they should use what we all studied and learned in our youth. I'm way to old and set in my ways to try to learn something new. So thanks again.

17. Chris Doyle

Chris Doyle New Member

Skwala. Way to early for Salmonflies. OBTW, both Skwalas and Salmonflies are Stoneflies.

18. tkww

tkww Member

Media:
    A friend emailed me a pic recently of a salmonfly he found. Probably a week or week and a half ago. Obviously it hatched at the wrong time, but that does happen. I'll see if I can find it.

Here it is:

Attached Files:

19. little rod

little rod Member

I see some red or orange on that bug. Skwalas have a light greenish coloring on them. My guess is Salmonfly

20. tkww

tkww Member

Media:
    This weekend I was driving up a river road and encountered a Salmonfly hatch in full force. (I got out and caught one to make sure.) In full force. Dozens and dozens of them flying around. When i start fishing streams wither the end of may or the beginning of June, it's not unusual to see a (very) occasional Salmonfly and a couple-few Goldens. Basically coming in at the very tail end of their adult life. Seeings as that is ~6 weeks away, it looks like the stone hatches are definitely early this year.