Trout Flies

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by TroutFinder, Feb 9, 2009.

1. TroutFinder New Member

Canada
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Hey new to tying flies just want some easy trout flies:)
  2. grizzwint Member

issaquah, WA
    wooly buggers, pats stones, Elk hair caddis, variety of nymphs(PTs, Copper Js, lightening bugs, brassies, etc)

just practice n get down all the skills. ull crank some out early on that basically look like s*it, but just keep at it and ull figure how to proportion the bugs. in no time ull be crankin out good lookin bugs!

start wit buggers though, those are pretty easy and generally the starting place of most fly tying books youll come across.

good luck! :thumb:
  3. TroutFinder New Member

Canada
    thanks do you have any pictures i can copy off of?
  4. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +110 / 0
    If your just starting out tying, it's best to build your tying skills. The Beginner and Intermediate series on FAOL helps do just that. http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/beginners/

Start at the beginning and work through the series. You build the tying skills necessary to get through almost any fly and fill your fly box with good flies at the same time.

REE
  5. grizzwint Member

issaquah, WA
    iagree

ive used you tube also

if your new to tying, just seeing pics of people's completed flies isnt gonna do much for you IMO because you dont know the steps to get there. now once you learn the basic jist of certain kinds of flies, youll be able look at a fly and kinda know how and what to replicate it with.

so id either use the site recommended by REE above, use youtube, go buy a book, or take a tying class at ur local fly shop. or sometimes ive searched google for a pattern and come across orvis' web pages that have the fly recipe and step by step instructions with pics that have also been useful.
  6. grizzwint Member

issaquah, WA
    i should say too that by no means am i an expert or anything, ive only been tying for a year or so, but thats how i got into it and learned.

just my 2 cents...

good luck
  7. StoneBro New Member

Bellingham, Wa
    just don't buy a kit - get good gear - buy feathers only for the flies you want to start with - try egg patterns to start.
  8. colton rogers wishin' i was fishin'

gig harbor, washington
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    when i started tying i watched youtube videos to get some patterns now my favorite pattern is a black foam beattle with a peacock body
  9. TroutFinder New Member

Canada
    any other people that can help me:)
  10. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Ratings: +507 / 0
    Between online tutorials, books and YouTube, it's just a matter of sitting down and tying bunches of flies now.
  11. SteelieD Non Member

In a van down by the river
  12. TaylinLoop Many fish coup

Arvada, Colorado
    Ratings: +5 / 0