Trout? Oh Yeah... I Remember Those. Are You Still Fishing For Them?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Dan Cuomo, Mar 14, 2012.

1. golfman65 Guest

Ratings: +5 / 0
    Don't think there is really much difference honestly...
    Water temps and spawning aside...trout will literally hibernate in the cold water bury themselves in the gravel..( from B. McMillan's book) so catching many in winter steelhead streams you might have to wait for the thaw.

If your asking, NO hatchery fish is ever going to replace a wild one in my books...so I would rather fish for wild trout over them anyday..
    Some of the places I fish the trout have residualised (?sp) to the river and are close if not bigger then most hatchery fish I've seen in Wa.

I have no problem fishing for any wild fish..I am not going to hang up the rod or grab gear just because one season has closed...One of the coolest things IMHO is fishing for one and catching the other...

My first summer run out of one river came when I was fishing a size 14 caddis on my 000 for trout...not a huge fish 6lb range..but still very cool..

Hell to be honest...I dig bulls for that matter...I'm a whore, I swing year round and whatever fish I get on a dry or swing is my favorite at that moment...
  2. Panhandle Active Member

Selkirk Mountains, Idaho Panhandle
    Ratings: +23 / 0
    I have little to no interest in fishing for trout. I do like the rowing and being in beautiful trout country. If not for that I wouldn't fish for them.
  3. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa
    Ratings: +721 / 0
    I remember a couple years ago when I hitched a ride on your boat on the Yakima. "Dude, do you want to fish"? "No, I like rowing and I'm mostly into steelhead". I thought to myself, this guy is crazy...only fishing for steelhead. What's the matter with him?

Then I caught a steelhead - haven't used my 3-5wts in probably about 7 mos or so.
  4. Steve Call Active Member

Wetside, WA
    Ratings: +176 / 0
    The steelhead bug bit me in the 70's and 80's. But fishing for them today just isn't the same. I agree with Jason, its hard seeing the fishery decline to the point where the PS rivers are closed and the OP is at times a mob scene. I still fish for them several times each year and its still a thrill to catch a few each year.

But, my first love has always been fishing for trout and I enjoy it now more than ever. I love fishing mountain streams especially with dry flies in the summer and fall.

To each their own.
  5. Dan Cuomo Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +62 / 0
    Interesting responses, and only time will tell if I continue to focus primarily on steelhead. Perhaps it's my ADD, in that I enjoy the spey casting and the greater degree of engagement it requires of me. I've been thinking that steelheading is, for me, more like bird hunting than anything else. There's much walking and stalking, and steelhead, like grouse, woodcock, quail, and pheasant, have their particular places, and while not always the case, to look for them elsewhere is usually a losing game. The degree of time and work per fish is also similar to bird hunting; hours and miles are often required for little or nothing other than the experience, which is what I'm ultimately after. I love the wild places steelhead have taken me, and the fact that I'm almost never fishing in someones backyard or even very close to a road. So far, I'm enjoying my days chasing steelhead without a hook-up, or even a bump, to a greater degree than I have on days where I caught quite a few trout. I'm not by any means dismissive of trout or the experience of trout fishing, but rather commenting on my wonder at the degree to which steelhead and steelhead "hunting " has taken over my time on the water and on my plans for the future.
  6. Skysoldier Trout Hunter

Lost in the woods.....
    Ratings: +184 / 0
    Not really PT I had my dog read it for me ;)
  7. sashjo Member

Lakewood, WA.
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    I can't remember the last time that I actually went trout fishing. Last year, I probably caught a few hundred trout during "fly tying breaks". When the lake is stocked, you can catch one on every cast. No challenge. I'd rather get up early, drive a hundred miles, and chase steel.

It is tough for my wife to understand exactly why I get up so early and why I drive so far for steelhead when trout fishing is 40 ft out the back door. She hasn't divorced me, so I guess she doesn't believe that I am crazy, just obsessed with chasing steel.
  8. golfman65 Guest

Ratings: +5 / 0
    should differentiate between lakes and rivers...weird as I got my lake stuff and it just collects dust...can go up north and catch huge genetic trout on chronies...pretty fun too...but rivers that have both steelhead and trout are my favorite ones to fish..I use different spey rods year round and love the summer runs and trout on skated bugs and swung dry line...Would much rather fish for actively feeding fish or summers...The whole concept of my fly fishing is the fly..the swing, dead drift, skated...flies that are food...even if it's something white like an old flesh fly...aggressive fish rising and sipping off the top!!! What?

I gotta seriously wonder though, So you swing a minnow pattern, cool hairwing classic or skate a Lemier just subsurface...3-4 or larger pound bright red side slams it...goes airborne reapedly..your reel is screaming...
    Oh but that sucks man cause I only fish for "steelhead"???

Sometimes I wonder!!!!
  9. Brian Thomas Active Member

Kamloops B.C
    Ratings: +120 / 0
    I`m going trout fishing today , but I`ll be doing it with a 12 foot Gary Anderson 3 weight . That`s got to count for something - no ?
    I would rather be going fishing for steelhead , but the closest open steelhead river to me is over 3 hours away , and it`a gong show down there , and no matter how good the fishing on that system is , I always make the drive home with a bit of a sour taste in my mouth .
    I`ll opt for the solitude , thank you very much .
    golfman65 likes this.
  10. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    remember steelhead are just big trout
  11. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,327 / 9
    No, they are far more special than just big trout. Triploids are just big trout. Steelhead are ocean going exceptional creatures.
  12. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    Biologically speaking of course.
  13. fshnazn Member

Beavercreek OR
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I was dryline swinging for winter steelhead yesterday, and a large trout was 2 spey rod lengths away methodically rising to midges. I smiled and kept swinging for steelhead...

Adrian
  14. BDD Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +197 / 2
    I'm an angler first. While I love steelhead fishing and spend lots of time and money chasing them, I like catching fish even more. I don't fish steelhead during times when the chance of catching them are slim and when I could be catching lots of trout. April to June, I fish lakes for trout and really enjoy it. Summer time I fish dries for creek trout in lonesome places. There are few things better than chasing summer steelhead in the fall and I wish there were six months of September and October. Winter mostly bites but I get through it with whitefish, trout, and winter steelhead.
  15. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +861 / 0
    I"ve never had so much as a bump on a steelhead fly, and have never seen one outside of a photograph. However, I did learn that I enjoy standing in the Methow throwing my Spey more than anything else, and am mesmerized by the action of the line, and the casting itself far more than any fish I've ever caught. When I put that together with a beautiful, wild river, I truly don't care about catching fish, just being there-for now-is enough.
  16. Dan Cuomo Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +62 / 0
    It's even worse now. Just the other day I stuck - somewhat briefly - three fish on the swing. One of them struck violently, took me into the backing in about five seconds, and "threw" the hook, after maybe 45 seconds or so. I qualify the "threw" part because when I checked my hook, it had been partially straightened. Holy shit!
  17. Abomb Member

In the skinny
    Ratings: +25 / 0
    I am an Angler, do not understand why one would limit themselves to one species,or tactic, especially in the GNW. I fish for them all, Bass, Carp, Steelhead, Trout, Crappie, Waleye,etc., you name it man, if it swims I am all about it. Jesse, don't let Pan fool ya!
  18. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    Last time I went trout fishing in the lower 48 I caught a steelhead.
  19. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa
    Ratings: +721 / 0
    I thought for sure I was screwed. Great, now I'm a steelhead brah and will soon be talking about steelfaces, getting an adipose tat'd on my neck, and pretending I know everything about steelheading after catching half a dozen fish. After all that makes me an expert right? ;)

All said.... The only thing I'm thinking about this week is hiking my watermaster up a tiny braid where the drift boats can't go. All I want is to be fishing small winter water for big hungry trout on a three weight. I'm remembering when I first started fly fishing - where I thought that the longer you hiked, the bigger the fish. I used to sit on the bank of the river and smoke a cigar religiously before even lining up - looking through my fly box trying to match whatever "new to me" bug was flying around. I loved the guarantee of solitude and stupid fish. Most of the time I was wrong. Some of the time I'd be right. A cast would lay out that was perfectly straight before hitting the water with a miracle curve at the end - enabling that extra 1.5 seconds of free drift required for a smashing rise to my dry fly.

I'm pretty sure I'll always fish for trout. You know, once in a while.
    Steffan Brown likes this.
  20. Steffan Brown ...

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +64 / 0
    I had a 18-19" rainbow peel off line, leap multiple leaps, two weeks ago after sucking down a pat's stone. After some battling, he came to a hand, free of shakes. This is when I realized I have problems...and the only remedy is to forget that ever happened. I'm sure I will be humbled by a trout again, and I will remember why they are so awesome. In the meantime, I will wait for my spey rod to come back from being repaired and focus on finding rising trout.