Trout Opener On The Kenai River 6-11-12

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by D RAY, Jun 12, 2012.

1. D RAY

D RAY Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Didn't know whether to post this on the speyclave or fishing reports...So here goes, this is only my second season using the the two-hander, I was introduced to it by the owner of a local flyshop, then, three weeks later I snuck over to Idaho to fish with guide Steve Mock on the Clearwater to gain some professional knowledge on the subject...while I had an excellent time, it was not a very good idea for a newbi like me, the wading was treacherous (I almost fell in the river numerous times), but, after Steve's excellent teaching, I finally got one tug, and that was it for the day, but, I was addicted! My personal fishing is now 90% done on the swing! Which brings me to this report...I got a call from Mossy's Flyshop here in Anchorage, they told me Dec Hogan was coming up to do some speycasting classes, and would I be interested in taking him out for the trout opener on the Kenai! To be perfectly honest, I had to give it some thought first, the trout opener is my personal time to fish, and I didn't want to have to deal with some prima donna guy who happens to have more knowledge about speycasting in his little pinkie, then I could ever hope to know! So, after about one second, I said "yes, I would be happy to take Dec out fishing." Well, to make a long story short, he and I, and two other friends got together and swung for rainbows, and it was one of the most memorable days I've ever had fishing! We caught quality fish on the swing, nothing really huge ( 27in. was the biggest). It also happened to be the hottest day of our unusual cool summer. Fishing with Dec has been the highlight of my fishing season so far this year (although I do have to throw fishing bones in Jan. while in Hawaii, somewhere in there). He is just a down to earth cool guy...no haughty, holier than thou attitude whatsoever! I gleaned so much knowledge just watching him...and of course (because I'm so vain), I didn't pepper him with any how to questions, and he didn't offer any advice while we were on the river either, which I took as, either him thinking I was a pretty good caster, or, he thought there was absolutely no help for me. Lol! We fished from 6:30am -8:30pm, shared lots of stories, laughter, great cigars, apple sausages on the grill, and some single malt libations! Of course when I found out he was coming and would be fishing with me, I knew I would have to get him to sign my copy of his book "A PASSION FOR STEELHEAD," so when I was introduced to him at the flyshop, I asked if he would sign my copy of his book, he looked at me, smiled and said " I'll sign it on the river." I thought to myself...I think I'm going to like this guy. So, at the end of a very long but epic day, he took my book, but before he signed it, he said to me " Dan, the reason why I didn't say much to you about your casting today, was because you are a very good caster," he then gave me a couple of tips he said would improve my technique, took my book and signed it. Here is what he wrote: Dan, thank you for a most memorable day on your wonderful Kenai River! You are a super guide and excellent angler. Glad to now have you as a friend! That happened yesterday...a day that was priceless and significant in the fact that I got to do something I'm falling in love with ( feeling the tug ), and also got to watch and fish with someone whose passion and mastery of the art was truly a pleasure to witness... it won't soon be forgotten!

Attached Files:

John Hicks and coastal cutthroat like this.
  2. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Media:
    Now that was an unforgettable day. And it seems that you held your own as well.

Steve

3. D RAY

D RAY Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Thanks Steve, I don't think it was a matter of even feeling like I had to hold my own. He didn't have any snootiness about him at all, that's what made it refreshing. Just fishing...no hating! We fished the same runs...me following him, sometimes him following me. And trust me, I made some cast's that had me cringing, but like I said in the post "he never said a word" (probably because I gave him my go to fly that he used and caught fish with all day)! Lol! There were even times we had doubles on together, and when anyone hooked up, he was always the first one to run over to get pics with his camera. Good guy! He's welcome on my boat anytime!

4. Mingo

Mingo the Menehune stole my beer

Media:
    Awesome report and pics!

5. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    Nothing really huge, only 27"....:). Sounds like you had a great time even though the fish were so small.

6. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

Great report and pics! Loved going through it. I liked the decked out drifter as well - even has a BBQ and I had never seen the 3 person single box seats up front, man have drifters come a long long way!

7. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

Kenai guides have adapted to the bigger (19+ foot) drift boats for some time. The type of fishing they do, getting out of the boat on bars, allows them to take 3-4 clients on a larger boat & keep the costs at around $200/person.

8. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Media:
    Home Page:
    Great report. What a memorable day for sure.