Trout Unlimited pontoon boats?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Pieter Salverda, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Pieter Salverda Member

Ballard, Wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Hi again,

Many of you have offered input on a pontoon boat recommendation - Thank you.

Is anyone familiar with the pontoon boats from Trout Unlimited? There are some 9' boats on ebay for $375 that seem great. 9', padded seat, 7' oars, anchor system, powder coated frame, etc.

What am I missing?
  2. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +659 / 5
    Well, only thing I can say from observation of them (and from some I know who own them) is there is ALOT for your flyline to grab while fishing. So something for you to consider before buying one. But a couple friends who gear fish love them. But they don't have to worry about the shooting line sitting in the boat at all. But a good stripping basket can help there.
  3. Islander Steve

Langley, Wa..
    Ratings: +182 / 6
    I have a 9' for me and a 7' for my son. I like them alot. A friend of mine said he saw the 7' at Costco right now for $200. The 9' does have several metal pegs sticking up that the stripping apron attaches to and they can be a problem with line. If you put on the stripping apron it would help but then you are kind of straped into the seat and don't have much mobility. I use mine without it but just try and keep the line in a bunch to the side. I do like the valve system they have. You can inflate with a pump, an air hose(schrader valve), or with a tube by mouth. It's real handy to top off the pontoons after it sits in cold water a few minutes. They aren't rated for whitewater, just slow moving rivers and lakes. You can pick them up in Kent and save the freight if you buy from certain companies on e-bay. If you are going to Dry Falls I'll have it there and you can check it out, or if you're ever over on Whidbey let me know. Anyway, for the money I have been real happy with them and I have used them a lot. My .02
  4. jackchinook Member

Winthrop, WA
    Ratings: +9 / 0
    As said before in a previous post, don't get one if you plan on using it on moving water...their sewn pontoon covers will come apart pretty quickly as they did in my experience. The frames are also simply not made for that sort of use. But for still water they're fine and you can't beat the price.
  5. mukman Old to the board

Mukilteo, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I've had the 9' for two years now and am generally quite pleased. However, I always have a lingering concern about the durability with the uncoated nylon covering on the top side of the pontoons, as opposed to the heavier "rubberized" nylon on most pontoons. I've had it in swift moving water and it handled just fine. Prior to purchase, I was concerned about the high-riding bow and stern sections of the pontoons in heavy winds - no problems. Great price, good performance. I'm happy with my purchase.
  6. Norm Frechette Active Member

Norwich, CT
    Ratings: +77 / 0
    Cheap! Cheap and Cheap! Bladders leak! Poor customer service from Classic Accessories (they manufacture them).

Scadden, Outcast or Water Sketeter would be a better choice!
  7. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,653 / 0
    No matter what is recommended somebody will find a fault in them. I would only tell you that to go buy what ever it is you can afford. But don't get any pontoon boat that is just covered with that thin nylon stuff. Look for the heavy coated ones like Buck's Bags sells or Outcast or the higher priced Creek Co. boats. They are a bit heavier to pack around but won't get snagged with the heavier coating.

Jim