trucking steelhead

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by vader, Feb 20, 2004.

1. vader Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    i know in the summer they truck steelhead up the sky. i was wondering if anyone knows the web site of when they truck the steelies?
    vader:dunno
  2. Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Mountlake Terrace, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I don't know if there is a spot to see when steelies are trucked above Sunset Falls, but they are trucked winter and summer, steelies and salmon.

I know as I have seen pictures of the caught fish, and seen others in the water.

Rob
  3. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,704 / 0
    Well it's not done by WDFW. The people that have the power house or what ever is there at the base of the Falls do the trucking so I guess that it would be Puget Power that does the trucking. But As to what or when is another thing.

But finding that out would be like cheating. It is more fun to hunt them down and seek them out. Besides there are some big steelhead in the river in the summer time and I have seen a few of them but not lucky enough to catch them.

Jim
  4. Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Mountlake Terrace, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    If you do a query of "steelhead 'susnset falls' skykomish" in Google the #2 hit is a pdf file at WDFW showing the trucking of some Summer Chinook in 2003.

Yes, WDFW does the trucking, nobody else has a stake in it.

Rob
  5. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Well I might have to argue with you on this a little. This last fall The WDFW asked the people that were trucking the fish up river to please give them any steelhead and those people doing the trucking said NO. So what I heard might be true and again it might not be. So who are you supposed to believe. I got this off a web site and no I don't remember which one.

Jim
  6. vader Member

thanks
    vader:thumb
  7. FishPirate New Member

Darrington, WA, USA.
    The trap and haul is run by WDFW. The two groups are the fish management section vs. the hatchery group. Like any large organization, sometimes they don't communicate or cooperate very well.

I've heard that they've merged, so it may not be a problem anymore. Anyone know?

FP
  8. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Thanks for the insight. I read about it but wasn't to sure on who did it.

Jim