True 5 or 6wt switch/spey recommendations?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Jordan Simpson, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Hey, I am slightly interested in maybe looking for a 5 or 6wt switch or spey rod for this upcoming chum fry hatch.
    The body of water I usually fish during this time has some fun and good sized bull trout and am looking for a rod to match.

Now, I'm a complete spey/switch noob so I don't know how they are rated when talking about these line weights or if they are just labeled in grains.

I am not looking for the equivalent of a 7 or 8wt single-hand. I read/heard somewhere that spey/switch rods are labeled two weights under a single-hand, for example a 6wt swtich/spey is similar to an 8wt single-hand.

I am looking for a rod equivalent to a 5 or 6wt single-hand.
    Does this mean I am going to be looking for a 3 or 4wt spey?

Thanks guys!

2. forget about that arbitrary number, decide what line, and how many grains you want to throw, then checkout the rio chart to find the rods that will do the job. you will see that one companys 7 is anothers 5. its marketing, and nothing more.

3. Jordan, you are on the mark for the most part.... some brands rate different.... be careful of the rio chart.... it says that my guideline 6/7 switch can throw a 425 grain skagit. Not a chance. guideline is single hand rated. check out speypages for a cheaper used one......

4. check out the beulah platinum 11' 7" platinum5 wt. I got one last fall. Its a blast for src and I caught a couple of summers
    on it while skating oct caddis. The rod is so light it feels like you are fishing a single hander It throws a 310 steelhead skandi
    like a dream. I used all of the 10 ft sinking poly leaders on it and it lifts all of them out of the water with ease.

5. I like my CPX 6126, im using it for large river trout and A run steelhead. should be a good match for big bulls.

6. Jordan- check this one out if you havent already found something-

http://www.theflyfishingplace.com/BEULAH_SWITCH__10_6__4_5.html

ive been fishing this stick for a couple years now and its a ton of fun fishing for trout with sculpin/bugger patterns. i have mine paired with either a skagit compact or skagit switch 4/5 (360 grain), and some kind of sink tip from an intermediate poly to T-8.

another line option that ive fished is the SA skagit extreme, as you have the option to go down to 320 grains (or even 280).

one thing ive found with these short heads is that it helps to either weld the running line to the back end of it or take some shrink tubing and cover the connection, to avoid that annoying clicking when you find yourself stripping the head into the guides.

7. I have a meiser 10'6" 3/4 with a 285gr head, essentially a 6wt single hand weight if you will, it cast overhead and switch/spey with ease. I use it for trout, searuns and smallmouth. This rod will cover a lot of bases as far as dries to nymphing and indicators. Should be great for what you have in mind,

8. From what I've been heard/read and found online, it looks like I'll be looking more for a 3/4 which is what I originally thought, but wasn't sure. Now I'm looking around online for some used ones. I can't really spend the money (i.e don't have the money) to buy a new one out right, so now I'm on to the second part of this adventure, which is trolling the classifieds!

9. there is a beulah 4/5 switch on flybc right now for $250 located in the wack...

Jon

10. Hey Frenchie, I saw that earlier today- does a 4/5 switch really mean a 6/7 in single hand weights though?

11. I think beulahs may be a little different... but I have no first hand experience. Ask "the bobcat" he is a pretty seasoned cutty hunter... he would be able to answer your questions as far as how heavy it is/seems

cheers,

Jon

12. I use a Beulah 5/6 switch for chum in AK and it's about right IMHO.

13. The Bobcat on Flybc said he felt that the 4/5 felt like a fast 5wt (singlehand). For the body of water I will be fishing, I would prefer a medium to medium fast (not a full on 'fast') that is more mid flex as opposed to a fast tip-flex.

Still on the hunt!

14. I believe that Orvis and Sage switch rods cast true to line weight. Both come in as light as 5wt, each at 11'. I agree that you can work this problem backwards. What do you expect to cast (grain weight) then find the rod with that grain weight window.

15. If you want spey Jordan.... check out the echo dh 4 weight @ M&Y in surrey.......... or their switch. can't beat price.

16. Do you know how much it is? If so, I will see if my local shop can order it in (Nothing against M&Y, but I have to support my local shop).

17. The 'key question' here is 'True 5 or 6 wt switch/spey' etc. Most rods will have more than one # that matches up with the rod designers idea of the type of lines/grains that effectively work with the equipment. There are a couple of major exceptions to this that come to mind: ACR (Gary Anderson) and the Burkie line of rods. When Gary/Kerry put a #7 on a rod, they mean a '7.'

Thinking about line choices (after you pick which 'stick' you want) give Steve Gotshall (541 840 2594) a call and have him build you a line for that Puppy. (Be prepared for a 20 minute phone call! ;>) ) Steve has darned near every 2-hander built 'dialed in' and add to that 'your casting style' the line will be a 'one off' cut just for you/rod. Won't cost you a penny more than something 'off the shelf' but you'll know you've got something unique the first time you cast the combo.

18. 349$ should get you echo dec hogan.... ebay alot of the sellers will include a line for that price....! and free shippin. I like to support the local guys too.... I was just about to buy one myself online and my local guy matched the price....!

19. Yeah, I've been informed The Anglers Roost just a few moments ago and am leaning towards ther 12' 5/6wt. Seems like a fun little rod for what I intend to use it for. Now I'll start doing some research and looking for reviews on it.

This game we call fly fishing never ends.