true cod on a fly

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by rockfish, Dec 27, 2001.

1. rockfish

rockfish Member

thats right measured 26 inches had to let it go started jigging an was in a swarm of blackmouth. landed one in first 5 minutes that weighed 7.46. and landed shaker after shaker. then went to fly with a size 2 peacock angel hair clouser (SOUND FAMILER) with a few strands of pearl flashbou. must not have been on the bottom cause i was marking fish at 45 ft and that must have been the true cod school. outfished the trollers . two boats were doing circles around me. with there down riggers. I guess some one should tell them when bait is marked on the bottom in a concentrated area trolling is less effective. but expierence is were you learn that. tight lines all, Ben

2. ray helaers

ray helaers New Member

when you say you outfished the trollers, do you mean jigging, on the fly, or both? I don't mean to diminish your acheievement with the cod (you could well have a line-class record, and it's nice to know there are still any at all left in the Sound), but I'm most interested in learning if you hooked any blackmouth on the clouser. By the way: where?

3. Greg

Greg Member

:THUMBSUP

Manchester?

4. rockfish

rockfish Member

I caught the blackmouth on jigs but tomorrow morning I'm gonna be there at sun up with my 8wt. I talked to a park ranger and he said for the lasts few days in the morning there has been baitballs by restoration point. thats 50ft of water so I can see if I can catch a few there. yeah but stick to places that hold bait. could not keep from snagging herring 100ft deep. that 7lb was puking them up when I bonked him. I hope that true cod wasnt a line class record. but theres no way to find out cause there protected. Ben