Trying Different Chironomid Technique

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Mike Wilson, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Craig Hardt

Craig Hardt aka Nagasaurus

Media:
    Or take a 1/4" strip of thin sheet foam (the kind for making Chernobyl ants, etc) and run it through the eye of a 1/2 oz bank sinker. Add a drop of superglue, fold the foam over to pinch the glue between the two halves, and trim the resulting foam tags to about 1/2" long (whip finishing the tags together works too). Then all you need to do is hook your bottom fly into the foam and drop it down like using the hemostats....and you don't risk losing the hemos.

2. PeteM

PeteM Member

Another technique, on certain bottoms, is to put a foam fly on the end of your full sinking line. The line will come to rest on the bottom of the lake and the fly will suspend up the water column as high as your leader will allow. When you strip your line, the fly will dive down imitating a diving beetle, caddis, etc. and then rise back up.

Pete

3. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    If you saw Ralph Cutter's video on aquatic insects, you might think otherwise. He documented a surprisingly fast ascent by a chironomid pupa.

On the topic of floating vs sinking lines, I have some thoughts. 10ft or less water depth, I will use a floating line with an adjustable indicator. 7ft or more, I go with a full-sinking line. With the latter, I will use a hemostat clipped to the fly to find and set depth by reeling in slack in my line. If the going is slow with that rig, I will use a "finger nibble" retrieve to explore the water column. If/when I get a strike, I will reel in slack and play the fish in off the reel (not reeling in the remaining line). That way I don't have to figure out all over again the depth fish are holding at.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again: Having an emerger pattern is very useful. You never know when you might find trout rising to emergers. Having a back-up rod rigged with a surface pattern will increase the chance of boosting the fun factor. Personally, I'd rather catch two trout on a dry pattern than five with wet ones. Seeing the take totally amplifies the fun! :beer2:

BTW, it would seem that now is the time of the year when trout seem to be more inclined to rise for their eats. Last year and this year, during this part of spring, my favorite lake gave up some great surface action.

--Dave E.

4. TexBC

TexBC Fly Addict

So do you use both at the same time between 7ft and 10ft? lol

From listening to Brian Chan (considered the Guru of Chironomid fishing up here in BC), he says that is not a good idea, especially if the bite happens near the surface. More times than not the fish has followed your fly up from the bottom and taken it. I can't speak to it personally though, as I've had limited success with the full-sink technique.

5. Mike Wilson

Mike Wilson Yakbowbw

Media:
    I can say this to what I did on my first, albeit successful experiment with this technique, I counted the number of pulls to the bottom with hemostats attatched. I let out that many pulls with the fly and then went some more as the fly did not go straight down. I then used my fins to slowly keep me in position, I did not anchor. There was some drifting and movement and I believe this is what I liked about the experiment, I was not stuck in one spot. This slow drift is why I think my halebop was tagged two times, and I also caught fish on the bottom chironomid. Because I was catching fish on or close to the bottom I did not explore the virtical water column. I will do that next time. I am also going to look into the quick release indicators and use them in conjunction with something that I use from the Frog Hair indicators. When you use those floats you slide a little rubber stopper onto the fly line. It is what you set your bobber depth with. One of those little rubber indicator stops could very easily be used to mark the depth on a quick release float. It will make accurately resetting your depth a snap. It is also easily adjustable if you beging to search virticle water column. Now, do I try to make my quick release indicator, or do I run to Pacific Fly Fishers and buy some?

6. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    Yes, trout will and do follow a fly upward. That can happen even when retrieving a leech pattern. However, it wouldn't take much to figure out that the last fish you caught actually followed your fly up, if you find that fish aren't striking at the newly adjusted depth. A lot of fly angling knowledge comes via process of elimination.

--Dave E.

7. Jay Burman

Jay Burman Experienced Ne'r do well and Layabout.

Media:
    What the heck is T-14?:hmmm:

8. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

Media:
    It is a line you can buy that has tungsten impregnation in it, causing it to weigh 14 grains per foot. We use sections of it as a sink tip when swinging flies for steelhead, especially on the spey rod.

Wayne

9. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Media:
    Picked up this trick from some of TexBC's buddies up north.

I carry a small bottle of white-out from the local office supply. I use this to mark my sinking line after I find bottom with the hemostats. The stuff is semi-permanent in that it will stay on all day but can be removed with a little vigorous finger rubbing. I usually mark the line so that the mark is somewhere in the middle of the rod next to a guide. This way I can use the same mark if I move and the depth has changed by a few feet either way.

10. Mike Wilson

Mike Wilson Yakbowbw

Media:
    I like it. :thumb: White out is easy to carry and will be permanant enough to allow you to fish for the day.

11. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Media:
    To save your hemostats, try using an alligator clip with an attached sinker. Attach the alligator clip to the hook as you would a hemostat. If you lose it, it's not a big deal just be sure to bring a couple of them.

12. Mike Wilson

Mike Wilson Yakbowbw

Media:
    Picked some up at PFF... very simple can't wait to try them out

13. scottflycst

scottflycst Active Member

Mike, They're the only indicator I use, work great. Caught seven fish with them today.

14. CovingtonFly

CovingtonFly B.O.H.I.C.A. bend over here it comes again

Media:
    iagree Everytime I hear someone say put on the hemo and drop it I remember the time I did it and it popped off at the bottom of the lake....never to be seen again

15. Reel

Reel New Member

I learned to tie on a small heavier strip of mono filament line as a marker of how much line to let out after a retrieve. It is tied instead of the white out idea posted above and can be wound up onto your reel and adjusted easily by sliding it. I worried it would pinch my line, but was told not to tie it that tightly and it was fine and seemed to stay in place and was easy to remove when done fishing. I probably shouldn't add I didn't catch anything, but not many others were either.

16. Trout Master

Trout Master Active Member

tried the full sink line chrono fishing at a okanagon lake recently . Dam do they hit hard . Will be doing it again as soon as I can.

17. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    I had read about that technique here and KlintF showed it to me first hand, hang it down and HOLD ON!

18. Krystoff

Krystoff Member

I need to figure out how to do this chrono fishing stuff, sounds like it really produces.

19. Jamie Wilson

Jamie Wilson Active Member

This set up sounds awesome!! Easy to make. I'm doing it this weekend. Thanks for all the good tips! Any idea the LONGEST section of t-14 he was using?

20. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Media:
    I would be careful where you fish that setup.

Make sure you have 25' of fly line...