Trying my hand at the Holo/Tiger wrap on my RX7

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Alexander, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Well, still pursuing this rod building thing, and so far every rod is another test and contains a rather steep learning curve, not sure why but I keep wanting to try new things so I do!

Some observations:

*I continue to realize that patience isn't my biggest trait. I knew that but I keep being reminded (4 kids will remind you of your lack of patience).
    *Being a welder/fabricator I thought I had steady hands, applying epoxy and getting that perfect application has been challenging. I'm sure there are some techniques I could be applying that I have yet to learn.
    *Getting my wraps to all be equal, challenging, maybe I should plan more and be less spontaneous, equally spacing my guide wraps on both sides. Counting my turns might help.
    *Trying new things is fun, but hard, but fun, but worth the result in the end....or not and then requires a massive redo.
    *Need to figure out how to get clean wraps, no fuzzy tags left, sometimes I get it right, other times I want to choke someone.

Batson RX7
    9' 5wt
    Supergrade cork grip with composite accents
    Guide wraps: PacBay Nylon size A black and gray, side by side.
    Metallic Royal Blue accent wraps
    Measuring wraps at 18" and 24" (the top of my grip is about 12") :)

Anyhow, here a few shots of my 3rd rod. Trying some new things and new techniques I know this is not traditional fly rod bling, but I'm having fun trying out new stuff and, well, part of the reason I'm getting into rod building is because I can do what I want...I'm not bound by rules. :)

Attached Files:

Mike Ediger and LD like this.
  2. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

Nice job on the wrap. I did this technique on my parents' rods which were spinning rods and it worked quite well. I was happy with the eventual results.

Keeping the guide wraps equal is always a challenge, a ruler is helpful at the bench. I was just reading a rod building site that states he starts his wrap at the end closest to the guide and then works down the guide foot to the blank, then he wraps just three times on the rod, then adds the trim wrap. I've never done that but will try on my next rod. It seems challenging, but will keep the guide wraps equal and short.

Wayne

Alexander likes this.
  3. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Going to try that on the rod I'm building for my wife. :) Thanks for passing that on!

4. Roger Nott

Roger Nott Member

I built my first fly rod about 25 years ago and still have to learn and re-learn. A lot of that is because I only build for myself so I build a couple, then take a 5 – 10 year break, and then build a couple more etc. Custom builders that do 25 – 100 rods a year really have it down and it shows in their wraps.

A few comments on your observations

Wrapping and finish will try our patience, the heavy stuff like grip and reel seat not so much. Sometimes I just have to get up and walk away for a few minutes.

Steady hands, I end up working on rods on weekend mornings a lot. Stay away from the coffee, especially if you’re trying to do a hand written inscription.

Equal wraps, counting on the main wraps would not work for me, too many to keep track of. Trim wraps yes. I use a short sewing ruler (6 inches) that you can get at any store that has a sewing dept for about 99 cents. I find the metric marks to be the most useful. Use it as a guide for where to start the wraps by measuring to the where the foot transitions to the guide bend.

There is an option for not getting too upset about the tag ends and fuzzies if you are doing two coats (unless they are really bad). Put the first coat down and let cure, you can use a fine emery board to file down nubs or any other imperfections for that matter, clean with alcohol and then apply the second coat. You’ll never see the file marks. Just don’t hit the blank or thread with the emery board.

Always double or triple check everything before you mix adhesives. Rework after that point is at least 10 times harder.

There are some great tutorials on line by people who are infinitely better than I will ever be. But also maybe knucklehead or two (it's the internet after all).

Nice wraps by the way.

Alexander likes this.
  5. Steve Knapp

Steve Knapp Beach Bum

That's a really good tiger, I tried a couple if them, but was never happy so I cut them all off and went with feather inlays. You make me want to get back to building again. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Alexander likes this.
  6. LD

LD Active Member

Nice

7. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

Nice start on the rod. As far as keeping the wraps the same size, I keep a small piece of paper or masking tape with a pen mark to compare the sizes. Then VERY carefully I use a fire starter (lighter) set on low flame and quickly burn the tag or fuzzies off. I use one light coat of Flex Coat applied with a small soft bristled brush. I apply the finish the full length of the wrap then turn it and apply until completely gone around. Then I'll level or add/remove the epoxy. I've been building for over 25 years now, hope that helps. Keep at it Alexander!

Alexander likes this.
  8. Mike Ediger

Mike Ediger Active Member

I like it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Matthew LeBret

Matthew LeBret Active Member

Thread work is looking good & so is your finish :)